Verify Is Math Correct? Assumptions Correct?

In summary: Thanks againThanks Jony130I can understand the max value you that you calculated, but does my minimum look okay or do I need to fix...Thanks again@Duave: That is correct.@rude man: We don't need to calculate the minimum beta. We already know that the minimum beta will be less than 114. We only need to calculate the maximum beta.@Duave: That is correct.@rude man: We don't need to calculate the minimum beta. We already know that the minimum beta will be less than 114. We only need to calculate the maximum beta.That's right!
Duave
Can someone please tell me if I have solved the problem? Is the math correct? Were the assumptions correct?

Thank you in advance

Homework Statement

Show that:

I(B) = 44 uA
I(C) = 4.4 mA
V(CE) = 1.2 V

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1011057_10151937081760919_165466716_n.jpg

Homework Equations

V(B) - V(BE) = V(E)

I(B) = V(B)/R(B)

I(B) = [Beta][I(B)]

The Attempt at a Solution

The dotted lines were placed for clarity.

Part A

V(B) = 5V
V(BE) = 0.6V
V(B) - V(BE) = 5V - 0.6V
V(B) - V(BE) = 4.4V
R(B) = 100 x 10^3(ohms)
I(B) = [4.4V/100 x 10^3]
I(B) = 44 uA
I(C) = [Beta][I(B)]
I(C) = (100)(44 x10^-6)
I(C) = (4.4 mA)
V(C) - [I(C)][R(C)] = V(CE)
10V - (4.4 x 10^3(A))(2000(ohms)) = V(CE)
10V - (8.8(V)) = V(CE)
1.2V = V(CE)

Part B

Find Beta

(Beta)[I(B)] = I(C)
I(S){e^(V(BE)/V(T)] -1} = I(C)
I(S){e^(V(BE)/V(T)] -1} = (Beta)[I(B)]
Beta = [I(S)/I(B)]{e^(V(BE)/V(T)] -1}
Beta = [{[V(CC) - V(CE)]/[R(C)]*[e^{V(BE)/VT]}/I(B)]{e^(V(BE)/V(T)] -1}
Beta = [{[V(CC) - V(CE)]/[I(B)][R(C)]
Beta = [{[10V - 1.2V]/[44 x 10^-6(A)][2000]
Beta = 100

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. But why do you calculate beta (with something calculated in (A)), if you can use it in (A)?

Likes 1 person
Where do you assume beta = 100? It can't be calculated except by assuming the answers a priori.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Looks good. But why do you calculate beta (with something calculated in (A)), if you can use it in (A)?

@mfb

I made a mistake. I know that beta is unitless.

My question to you is, if I erase the (A), would the statement then be COMPLETELY correct?

Thanks again

rude man said:
Where do you assume beta = 100? It can't be calculated except by assuming the answers a priori.

@ Rude Man

I understand what you mean. I was to answer the question below:

Suppose that the circuit shown in this thread goes into saturation. What is the MINIMUM value of β which would cause saturation?

Do my calculations answer this question? Do my final answers in bold answer it or do I need to give additional information?

Thanks again

Duave said:
@ Rude Man

I understand what you mean. I was to answer the question below:

Suppose that the circuit shown in this thread goes into saturation. What is the MINIMUM value of β which would cause saturation?

Do my calculations answer this question? Do my final answers in bold answer it or do I need to give additional information?

Thanks again

In that case beta needs to be a bit more than 100.

I answered your other question by quoting your 1st post.

Duave said:
Can someone please tell me if I have solved the problem? Is the math correct? Were the assumptions correct?

V(B) = 5V
V(BE) = 0.6V
V(B) - V(BE) = 5V - 0.6V
V(B) - V(BE) = 4.4V
R(B) = 100 x 10^3(ohms)
I(B) = [4.4V/100 x 10^3]
I(B) = 44 uA
I(C) = [Beta][I(B)]
I(C) = (100)(44 x10^-6)

No. A beta of 100 will not saturate the transistor.

I(C) = (4.4 mA)
No. See above comment.
V(C) - [I(C)][R(C)] = V(CE)

10V - (4.4 x 10^3(A))(2000(ohms)) = V(CE)

It takes more than 4.4 mA to saturate the transistor.

I'll leave it here for the time being ...

@Duave: All the confusion here comes from the missing problem statement.
Please post the full, exact problem statement here, otherwise we keep on guessing what you are supposed to do.

Likes 1 person
I have to solve for I(B), I(C), and V(CE)

mfb said:
@Duave: All the confusion here comes from the missing problem statement.
Please post the full, exact problem statement here, otherwise we keep on guessing what you are supposed to do.

The whole problem statement for Part (a) is Literally:

"
Show that:

I(B) = 44 uA
I(C) = 4.4 mA
V(CE) = 1.2 V
"

I have to show calculations that prove that I(B) = 44 uA, that I(C) = 4.4 mA, and that V(CE) = 1.2 V.

Seriously, that's all that I was given.

The whole problem statement for Part (b) is Literally:

"Suppose that the circuit shown in this thread goes into saturation. What is the MINIMUM value of β which would cause saturation?"

Thanks again

Duave said:
The whole problem statement for Part (a) is Literally:

"
Show that:

I(B) = 44 uA
I(C) = 4.4 mA
V(CE) = 1.2 V
"

I have to show calculations that prove that I(B) = 44 uA, that I(C) = 4.4 mA, and that V(CE) = 1.2 V.

Seriously, that's all that I was given.

The whole problem statement for Part (b) is Literally:

"Suppose that the circuit shown in this thread goes into saturation. What is the MINIMUM value of β which would cause saturation?"

Thanks again

OK, we caw summarize this as follows:
part (a) beta = 100 and your computatiuons are correct.
part (b) did you ever find the minimum beta?

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
OK, we caw summarize this as follows:
part (a) beta = 100 and your computatiuons are correct.
part (b) did you ever find the minimum beta?

@rude man

Thank you so much for your response:

Right now β = 100

iC/iB = β
iC = 4.4 mA
iB = 44 uA
4.4 mA/44 uA = β
100 = β

if VC drops to VCE then,
VC = 1.2V
IC(1.2V) = VC/RC
IC(1.2V) = 1.2V/2000(ohms)
IC(1.2V) = 0.6mA
if IB is fixed, then
IC/IB = β
0.6 mA/44 uA = β
13.64 = β

So, the minimum β = 13.64

Is this correct or am I still missing soemthing? Thanks again.

For this circuit Ib = (Vin - Vbe)/Rb = (5V - 0.6V)/100k = 44μA
The maximum collector current is equal to
Ic_max = (Vcc - Vcs(sat))/Rc ≈ Vcc/Rc ≈ 10V/2K ≈ 5mA

So if BJT current gain Hfe (β) will be larger than 5mA/44μA = 114 the BJT will enter saturation region.

Likes 1 person
Jony130 said:
For this circuit Ib = (Vin - Vbe)/Rb = (5V - 0.6V)/100k = 44μA
The maximum collector current is equal to
Ic_max = (Vcc - Vcs(sat))/Rc ≈ Vcc/Rc ≈ 10V/2K ≈ 5mA

So if BJT current gain Hfe (β) will be larger than 5mA/44μA = 114 the BJT will enter saturation region.

Thanks Jony130

I can understand the max value you that you calculated, but does my minimum look okay or do I need to fix that?

Duave said:
but does my minimum look okay or do I need to fix that?
But what this minimum Hfe value will represent? Because if you want Ic = 0.6mA for fixed base current (44μA), then you need to use a BJT with a Hfe equal to 13.64.

Likes 1 person
Jony130 said:
But what this minimum Hfe value will represent? Because if you want Ic = 0.6mA for fixed base current (44μA), then you need to use a BJT with a Hfe equal to 13.64.

Jony130,

So does the collector branch always determine the minimum Hfe (β) that will cause saturation? That's right isn't? In this circuit, The collector determined the minimum saturation value.

Part b assumes eveything in the circuit stays the same except beta can rise.

So to compute the min. needed for saturation, use the same base current, multiply by beta, and let that product = the collector current needed to reduce the collector voltage to zero. Then solve for beta.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Verify Is Math Correct? Assumptions Correct?

1. Is math always correct?

Math is a system of logic and rules that is used to solve problems and make calculations. When applied correctly, it is always accurate. However, it is important to note that human error or incorrect assumptions can lead to incorrect results.

2. How do we know if our assumptions in math are correct?

Assumptions in math refer to the underlying principles or conditions that are used to solve a problem. These can be based on previous knowledge, theories, or observations. To verify if our assumptions are correct, we must carefully check our work and make sure all steps and reasoning are logical and based on sound principles.

3. What happens if we make incorrect assumptions in math?

If incorrect assumptions are made in math, it can lead to incorrect results. This is why it is important to carefully check our work and make sure all assumptions are valid and based on proven principles.

4. How can we verify if math is correct?

To verify if math is correct, we can use various methods such as double-checking our work, using different methods to solve the problem, or seeking input from other experts in the field. Additionally, we can also compare our results to real-world observations or experiments to ensure their accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying the correctness of math?

While there are various methods to verify if math is correct, there are limitations to these methods. Human error and incorrect assumptions can still occur, and there may be certain complex problems that are difficult to verify. Additionally, there may be situations where math is applied to theoretical concepts that are difficult to prove or observe in the real world.