Verifying Divergence Theorem with Triple/Surface Integrals

In summary, the individual is trying to verify the divergence theorem using a triple integral and a surface integral of a vector field dotted with dS. They have encountered a discrepancy with the normal vectors chosen, specifically for the planes x=0, y=0, and z=1. The expert advises that the normal vectors chosen are incorrect and provides the correct outward pointing unit normal vectors for each plane. It is also mentioned that the correct answer was only obtained by chance due to the function being integrated being 0 on the specified planes.
blank_slate
I am trying to verify the divergence theorem by using the triple integral and the surface integral of the vector field dotted with dS.

No trouble per se, I'm not sure though about one thing: I am given a function and six planes (they form a cube). When I set x=0 the vector field is given as <3,y,2z> and I need to dot that with the normal vector. I am choosing the normal vector as <0,0,0>. I get the same answer as the book I am using, but they chose a different normal vector. Is my normal vector <0,0,0> right when I have a plane x=0?

I am doing the same for other planes: y=0 normal: <0,0,0>; y=1 normal: <0,1,0>; z=1 normal: <0,0,1> etc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
blank_slate said:
I am trying to verify the divergence theorem by using the triple integral and the surface integral of the vector field dotted with dS.

No trouble per se, I'm not sure though about one thing: I am given a function and six planes (they form a cube). When I set x=0 the vector field is given as <3,y,2z> and I need to dot that with the normal vector. I am choosing the normal vector as <0,0,0>. I get the same answer as the book I am using, but they chose a different normal vector. Is my normal vector <0,0,0> right when I have a plane x=0?
< 0, 0, 0> is not a "unit" normal vector (I started to say not a normal vector but in a sense, it is normal to everything!). If you want an "outward" pointing unit normal vector to the yz-plane (x= 0), then you want <-1, 0, 0>.

I am doing the same for other planes: y=0 normal: <0,0,0>; y=1 normal: <0,1,0>; z=1 normal: <0,0,1> etc.

Thanks!
Those others are also wrong. The outward pointing unit normal to the y= 0 plane is <0, -1, 0>, to z= 0, <0, 0, -1>. I suspect that the only reason you got the right answer was that the function to be integrated happened to be 0 on x= 0, y= 0, and z= 0.

Related to Verifying Divergence Theorem with Triple/Surface Integrals

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field inside the surface. It is a fundamental tool in vector calculus and is used to solve various physical and engineering problems.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem verified with Triple/Surface Integrals?

The Divergence Theorem can be verified using triple integrals over a three-dimensional region or surface integrals over a closed surface. The triple integral approach involves evaluating the divergence of the vector field at each point within the region and then integrating over the entire volume. The surface integral approach involves integrating the flux of the vector field over the closed surface.

3. What is the importance of verifying the Divergence Theorem?

Verifying the Divergence Theorem is important because it allows us to check the validity of the theorem and ensure that our calculations are correct. It also helps us to gain a better understanding of the relationship between triple integrals and surface integrals, and how they are used to solve problems in vector calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids, such as air or water, through a closed surface. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface and in fluid mechanics to calculate the mass flow rate through a surface.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the Divergence Theorem?

While the Divergence Theorem is a powerful tool, there are some limitations and assumptions that must be considered when using it. It only applies to vector fields that are continuously differentiable within the region of interest. Additionally, the surface or region must be closed and smooth, without any holes or sharp edges. If these conditions are not met, the Divergence Theorem may not be applicable.