Verifying Electric Field of Charged Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving kq/(d(d+L)) and the need to convert to meters before performing calculations. The variables in the equation are not clearly defined and it is suggested that an equality is needed. The possibility of using integration to derive the equation is mentioned and it is noted that the equation may not be accurate if d represents the distance to the center of the rod. The conversation ends with the person stating that they have figured out the equation.
hoseA
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2646/chargedrod1ew.png

I used the equation:

kq/(d(d+L))

I converted everything to meters before doing the calculations. (I'm kind of pressed for time at the moment... i'll post the actual work in 2 hours.)

I want to make sure the equation is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. An equation must contain an equality. What you've written is an expression. What is it an expression for ? And what do the variables represent ?

2. Have you learned integration ? If you have, I suspect you are required to derive the equation (it's just a 4-line derivation) for the field and substitute the values.

3. Assuming d is the distance to the center of the rod, that is not the equation I get for the field.

Gokul43201 said:
1. An equation must contain an equality. What you've written is an expression. What is it an expression for ? And what do the variables represent ?

2. Have you learned integration ? If you have, I suspect you are required to derive the equation (it's just a 4-line derivation) for the field and substitute the values.

3. Assuming d is the distance to the center of the rod, that is not the equation I get for the field.

any more hints? i have to submit my homework in 20 min. :frown:

Nevermind. i got it. Thanks for the help Gokul.

Related to Verifying Electric Field of Charged Rod

1. What is the purpose of verifying the electric field of a charged rod?

The purpose of verifying the electric field of a charged rod is to determine the strength and direction of the electric field it produces. This information is important for understanding the behavior of charged particles in the vicinity of the rod, and for applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine.

2. How is the electric field of a charged rod measured?

The electric field of a charged rod can be measured using a device called an electric field sensor. This sensor measures the force experienced by a test charge placed at various points around the rod, and from this data the electric field strength and direction can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the electric field of a charged rod?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the electric field of a charged rod. These include the distance from the rod, the size and charge of the rod, the presence of other charged objects or materials in the vicinity, and external factors such as electromagnetic interference.

4. How does the electric field of a charged rod differ from that of a charged sphere?

The electric field of a charged rod differs from that of a charged sphere in several ways. A rod has a non-uniform electric field, meaning that the strength and direction of the field vary at different points around the rod. In contrast, a sphere has a uniform electric field that is the same at all points on its surface. Additionally, a rod has two distinct poles (positive and negative), while a sphere has just one.

5. Can the electric field of a charged rod be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the electric field of a charged rod can be manipulated or controlled by changing the charge on the rod or by introducing other charged objects or materials nearby. This can be useful for various practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators used for air pollution control, or in particle accelerators used for scientific research.