Verifying Multiple Regression Calculation

In summary: I recommend consulting with a statistician or conducting further research for a more comprehensive understanding. In summary, the calculation for the slope and intercept appear to be correct for a simple linear regression, but the accuracy of the other values cannot be confirmed without further information. It is also important to consider the coefficient of determination and the limitations of using regression to make predictions.
nitsuj
It's been a long time since I've done (least squares?) multiple regression, is the calculation below correct?

y data points
y hat = 5,984

x data points
x hat = 378

Sum of xy's residuals = 39,643
Sum of (x-x hat) squared = 6,770
slope = 5.86

intercept = 5,984 - (5.86*378)
intercept = 3,769

y = 3,769 + (5.86*x)

is that right?

So for an x value of 400, it is

y = 3,769 + (5.86*400)
y = 3,769 + 2,344
y = 6,113

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your calculations without knowing the context and purpose of the regression analysis. However, I can provide some general guidelines for conducting multiple regression and interpreting the results.

First, it is important to clarify that the calculation shown is not necessarily for least squares multiple regression. It appears to be a simple linear regression, which involves fitting a straight line to the data points. In multiple regression, there are multiple independent variables that are used to predict a dependent variable. In this case, there is only one independent variable (x) and one dependent variable (y).

Assuming that this is a simple linear regression, the calculation for the slope (5.86) and intercept (3,769) appear to be correct. However, I cannot confirm the accuracy of the sum of xy's residuals and sum of (x-x hat) squared without knowing the method used to calculate them.

To interpret the results of a simple linear regression, you can look at the coefficient of determination (R-squared). This value tells you the proportion of variation in the dependent variable (y) that is explained by the independent variable (x). In this case, it would be the square of the correlation coefficient (r). A higher R-squared indicates a stronger relationship between the variables.

In terms of predicting a y value for a given x value, your calculation for an x value of 400 (y = 6,113) appears to be correct based on the equation y = 3,769 + (5.86*x). However, it is important to keep in mind that this is a prediction and may not necessarily represent the true value.

Overall, it is important to fully understand the context and purpose of the regression analysis and the method used to calculate the results in order to accurately interpret and use the results.

FAQ: Verifying Multiple Regression Calculation

1. How do I verify the accuracy of my multiple regression calculation?

To verify the accuracy of your multiple regression calculation, you can use statistical software or online calculators to compare your results. You can also manually calculate the regression equation and compare it to your original calculation.

2. What is the purpose of verifying multiple regression calculation?

The purpose of verifying multiple regression calculation is to ensure the accuracy of the results and to identify any potential errors in the calculation process. It also allows for the evaluation of the model's predictive power and the significance of the variables included in the regression.

3. Can I use any statistical software to verify my multiple regression calculation?

Yes, you can use various statistical software such as SPSS, SAS, or R to verify your multiple regression calculation. These software programs have built-in functions for performing regression analysis and can provide accurate results.

4. What if my multiple regression calculation results do not match with the software results?

If your multiple regression calculation results do not match with the software results, it could be due to errors in the calculation process, incorrect input data, or discrepancies in the software settings. It is recommended to double-check your calculation steps and make sure all data is entered correctly.

5. Is it necessary to verify multiple regression calculation for every analysis?

While it is not necessary to verify multiple regression calculation for every analysis, it is good practice to do so to ensure the accuracy of the results. If the regression model is complex or involves a large amount of data, verification becomes even more important to identify any potential errors.