Verifying Solutions to Newton's Equation for a Harmonic Oscillator

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying two solutions to Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator. The first solution is x(t) = Asin (wt) + Bcos(wt) where w = (k/m)1/2, and the second solution is x(t) = Csin(wt + Φ). The individual steps for verifying these solutions are not shown, but the conversation suggests filling in x(t) in Newton's equation and solving for the constants.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the textbook questions, but the steps are not shown--any suggestions would be appreciated!:

1) Verify that x(t) = Asin (wt) + B cos(wt), where w = (k/m)1/2 is a solution to Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator.

2) Verify that x(t) = Csin(wt + Φ) is a solution to Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator.

Homework Equations

Given above...

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I only have a faint idea, but don't know where to progress...

2) I think I am going in a right direction, but don't know if it is of "ENOUGH" verification:

sin(wt +Φ) = sin(wt)cosΦ + cos(wt)sinΦ, which I put into the x(t) function:
x(t) = Csin(wt)cosΦ + Ccos(wt)sinΦ
= c1sin(wt) + c2cos(wt)

∴ c1= CcosΦ
c2= CsinΦ

...do I need further proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The idea is that you fill in x(t) in "Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator" . The equation is probably linear in x, so you can do the terms one by one and you can forget the constants A and B

Same goes for 2). What you do in your attempt for 2) is convert a solution of type 2) into one of type 1. So once you've done 1) properly, you are also done with 2).

You don't say, but I suppose in your context, Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator is something like ##m\ddot x + k x = 0## ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
You don't say, but I suppose in your context, Newton's equation for a harmonic oscillator is something like ##m\ddot x + k x = 0## ?
... and that's the equation that should have been posted as "relevant equations".

FAQ: Verifying Solutions to Newton's Equation for a Harmonic Oscillator

1. What does it mean to "verify" two functions?

Verifying two functions means checking that they are equivalent in terms of their input-output relationship. In other words, if two functions have the same inputs, they should produce the same outputs.

2. How do you verify two functions?

To verify two functions, you can compare their equations or algorithms and check if they produce the same output for the same input. You can also use mathematical techniques, such as substitution, to confirm their equivalence.

3. What are the benefits of verifying two functions?

Verifying two functions ensures that they are accurate and reliable. It also helps identify any errors or mistakes in the functions, allowing for corrections to be made. This is especially important when using functions in complex calculations or experiments.

4. Can two functions have the same outputs but different equations?

Yes, two functions can have the same outputs but different equations. This is known as function equivalence. It is possible for two functions to have different equations but produce the same output for every input. This can occur when the functions are simplified or rewritten in different forms.

5. What should be done if two functions are not equivalent?

If two functions are not equivalent, it is important to identify the source of the discrepancy. This could be due to errors in one or both functions, or it could be a result of different assumptions or approximations made in the equations. Further analysis and testing may be needed to determine the cause and make necessary adjustments to the functions.