Verifying \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} x \vec{C}) = \vec{B} \cdot (\vec{C} x \vec{A})

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date
In summary, the dot product of the cross product of two vectors is equal to the dot product of the other two vectors, and in this case, the value of both dot products is 4.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

[itex] \vec{A}= \hat{i} + 2 \hat{j} \\
\vec{B}= \hat{j} + \hat{k} \\
\vec{C} = 2 \hat{k} + \hat{i} [/itex]

Verify that [itex] \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = \vec{B} \cdot (\vec{C} \times \vec{A}) [/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting something similar but not equal, I believe I must have made a simple stupid mistake somewhere, would appreciate a second pair of eyes, thanks :)

First what I did was rewrite the three vectors like so...
[itex]
\vec{A}= (1 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0) \\
\vec{B}= (0 \,\, , 1 \,\, , 1) \\
\vec{C} = (1 \,\, , 0 \,\, , 2) [/itex]

Then just did [itex] \vec{B} \times \vec{C} [/itex] first...
[itex]\vec{B} \times \vec{C} = (2-0) \hat{i} - (0-1) \hat{j} + (0-1) \hat{k} = 2 \hat{i} + 1 \hat{j} - 1 \hat{k} = (2 \,\, , 1 \,\, , -1) [/itex]

And then did the dot product of that new vector with vector A
[itex]
\vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = (1 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0) \dot (2 \,\, , 1 \,\, , -1) = (2 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0)
[/itex]
So I got (2, 2, 0) for the left hand side of the equation, now moving onto the right hand side I did the same process.

First I did just C x A...
[itex]
\vec{C} \times \vec{A} = (0-4) \hat{i} - (0-2) \hat{j} + (2-0) \hat{k} = -4 \hat{i} + 2 \hat{j} + 2 \hat{k} = (-4 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 2)
[/itex]
And then the dot product of that vector with B
[itex]
\vec{B} \cdot (\vec{C} \times \vec{A}) = (0 \,\, , 1 \,\, , 1) \cdot (-4 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 2) = (0 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 2)
[/itex]

And as you can see, (0, 2, 2) does not equal (2, 2, 0). Although now thinking about it, the magnitude of the vectors are equal but that is not what the question asked to verify; I was expecting two vectors exactly the same, i.e. (1, 4, 5) and (1, 4, 5), is that what I should get as the answer? Or have I already done it correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:
And then did the dot product of that new vector with vector A
[itex]
\vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = (1 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0) \cdot (2 \,\, , 1 \,\, , -1) = (2 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0)
[/itex]
So I got (2, 2, 0) for the left hand side of the equation
You need to review what the dot product is.

FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

[itex] \vec{A}= \hat{i} + 2 \hat}j} \\
\vec{B}= \hat{j} + \hat{k} \\
\vec{C} = 2 \hat{k} + \hat{i}

Verify that [itex] \vec{A} \dot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = \vec{B} \dot (\vec{C} \times \vec{A}) [/itex]
Ray Vickson said:
You need a final "[/itex]" in your very first paragraph.
That's not what the problem was - one of the braces was going the wrong way. It's now fixed in post #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
DrClaude said:
You need to review what the dot product is.

Ah right, of course! The final answer can't be a vector, so they are both just equal to 4?

I.e.
[itex]
\vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = (1 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0) \dot (2 \,\, , 1 \,\, , -1) = 2+2+0 = 4
[/itex]

FaraDazed said:
Ah right, of course! The final answer can't be a vector, so they are both just equal to 4?

I.e.
[itex]
\vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} \times \vec{C}) = (1 \,\, , 2 \,\, , 0) \dot (2 \,\, , 1 \,\, , -1) = 2+2+0 = 4
[/itex]
Yes.

Related to Verifying \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} x \vec{C}) = \vec{B} \cdot (\vec{C} x \vec{A})

What is the purpose of verifying the equation \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B} x \vec{C}) = \vec{B} \cdot (\vec{C} x \vec{A})?

The purpose of verifying this equation is to ensure that it is mathematically correct and to confirm that the dot product of two cross products is equal.

What is the meaning of the dot product and cross product in this equation?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that calculates the scalar quantity of two vectors by multiplying their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. The cross product is a mathematical operation that calculates the vector perpendicular to two given vectors.

Is this equation always true for any three vectors \vec{A}, \vec{B}, and \vec{C}?

Yes, this equation is always true for any three vectors as long as they are in three-dimensional space and the vectors are not parallel or all in the same plane.

What implications does this equation have in vector algebra?

This equation shows the commutative property of the dot product and the cross product, which means that the order of the vectors in the equation can be changed without affecting the result. It also demonstrates the distributive property of the cross product over the dot product.

How can this equation be used in real-world applications?

This equation can be used in physics and engineering to calculate the torque or moment of a force applied to an object. It can also be applied in computer graphics to determine the direction of a reflected light ray or to calculate the surface normal of a 3D object.