Verifying whether something is a vector space or not

In summary: Verification of property 2:Switching the order of the terms makes components equivalent.Verification of property 3:Associating terms makes components equivalent.Verification of property 4:(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (0, 0, 0) = (x_1 + 9?, y_1 + 9?, z_1 + 9?)So it fails the additive identity? Not sure.Verification of property 5
TimmyJ1203

Homework Statement

Hello, here is the question:

"Rather than use the standard definitions of addition and scalar multiplication in R3, suppose these two operations are defined as follows. With these new definitions, is R3 a vector space? Justify your answers.

a) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (0,0,0)
c(x, y, z) = (cx, cy, cz)

b) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (x1 + x2 + 9, y1 + y2 + 9, z1 + z2 + 9)

c) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (x1 + x2 + 6, y1 + y2 + 6, z1 + z2 + 6)
c(x, y, z) = (cx + 6c - 6, cy + 6c - 6, cz + 6c - 6)"

Homework Equations

Here are the axioms we are supposed to use:
Assume u, v, w are in set V; let c and d be scalars.
1. u + v is in V (Closure under addition)
2. u + v = v + u (Commutative property)
3. u + (v + w) = (u + v) + w (Associative property)
4. V has a zero vector 0 such that for every u in V, u + 0 = u. (Additive identity)
5. For every u in V, there is a vector in V denoted by -u such that u + (-u) = 0. (Additive inverse)
6. cu is in V (Closure under scalar multiplication)
7. c(u + v) = cu + cv (Distributive property)
8. (c + d)u = cu + du (Distributive property)
9. c(du) = (cd)u (Associative property)
10. 1(u) = u (Scalar identity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Disclaimer: I don't know how to check the properties mechanically, but a forum moderator insisted that I show work.[/B]
Our professor didn't get the opportunity to go over any examples with us, so I'm not even sure where to begin.

b)
Verification of property 1:
(x_1 + x_2 + 9, y_1 + y_2 + 9, z_1 + z_2 + 9); all components are real, so property 1 fits.
Verification of property 2:
Switching the order of the terms makes components equivalent.
Verification of property 3:
Associating terms makes components equivalent.
Verification of property 4:
(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (0, 0, 0) = (x_1 + 9?, y_1 + 9?, z_1 + 9?)
So it fails the additive identity? Not sure.
Verification of property 5:
(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (-x_1, -y_1, -z_1) = (x_1 - x_1 + 9?, y_1 - y_1 + 9?, z_1 - z_1 + 9)
So it also fails the additive inverse? Not sure.
Verification of property 6:
Looks like this checks out. Not sure how to show work.
Verification of property 7:
Verification of property 8:
Verification of property 9:
Verification of property 10:

Physics news on Phys.org
TimmyJ1203 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, here is the question:

"Rather than use the standard definitions of addition and scalar multiplication in R3, suppose these two operations are defined as follows. With these new definitions, is R3 a vector space? Justify your answers.

a) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (0,0,0)

b) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (x1 + x2 + 9, y1 + y2 + 9, z1 + z2 + 9)

c) (x1, y1, z1) + (x2, y2, z2) = (x1 + x2 + 6, y1 + y2 + 6, z1 + z2 + 6)
c(x, y, z) = (cx + 6c - 6, cy + 6c - 6, cz + 6c - 6)"

Homework Equations

Here are the axioms we are supposed to use:
Assume u, v, w are in set V; let c and d be scalars.
1. u + v is in V (Closure under addition)
2. u + v = v + u (Commutative property)
3. u + (v + w) = (u + v) + w (Associative property)
4. V has a zero vector 0 such that for every u in V, u + 0 = u. (Additive identity)
5. For every u in V, there is a vector in V denoted by -u such that u + (-u) = 0. (Additive inverse)
6. cu is in V (Closure under scalar multiplication)
7. c(u + v) = cu + cv (Distributive property)
8. (c + d)u = cu + du (Distributive property)
9. c(du) = (cd)u (Associative property)
10. 1(u) = u (Scalar identity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Disclaimer: I don't know how to check the properties mechanically, but a forum moderator insisted that I show work.[/B]
Our professor didn't get the opportunity to go over any examples with us, so I'm not even sure where to begin.

b)
Verification of property 1:
(x_1 + x_2 + 9, y_1 + y_2 + 9, z_1 + z_2 + 9); all components are real, so property 1 fits.
To verify this property, you need to show that if u and v are arbitrary vectors in R3, then u + v is also in that vector space.
TimmyJ1203 said:
You need to show this. And you need to show it for each of the following properties, or else show that a property fails to comply.
TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of property 3:
Associating terms makes components equivalent.
So it fails the additive identity? Not sure.
Yes, this property fails. u + 0 should turn out to be equal to u, which isn't the case here.
TimmyJ1203 said:
(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (-x_1, -y_1, -z_1) = (x_1 - x_1 + 9?, y_1 - y_1 + 9?, z_1 - z_1 + 9)
So it also fails the additive inverse? Not sure.
Yes, this one fails. If you add u and -u, what should you get?
TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of property 6:
If c is an arbitrary scalar, and u is an arbitrary vector, is cu in the vector space? Yes or no?
TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of property 7:
Since scalar multiplication has the usual definition for part b, there shouldn't be any surprises.
TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of property 8:
Verification of property 9:
Verification of property 10:

TimmyJ1203 said:
You should write it all out:
\begin{align}
&(x_1,y_1,z_1)+(x_2,y_2,z_2)=(x_1+x_2+9,y_1+y_2+9,z_1+z_2+9)\\
&=(x_2+x_1+9,y_2+y_1+9,z_2+z_1+9) =(x_2,y_2,z_2)+(x_1,y_1,z_1).
\end{align} Edit: I just noted that I had typed a bunch of nonsense here. (I thought for a moment that we were writing an arbitrary vector as ##(x_1,x_2,x_3)## rather than ##(x_1,y_1,z_1)## and got the two notations mixed up). I have fixed the calculation so that it makes sense now.

This way you're demonstrating that you are using the definition, and that this addition operation is commutative because the addition operation ##\mathbb R## is commutative.

TimmyJ1203 said:
You're supposed to find out if there's a vector z such that x+z=x for all vectors x. You have only proved that (0,0,0) isn't such a z. So you have only checked one vector out of infinitely many. (Almost everyone who asks about this type of problem here makes this exact mistake).

Your attempt to check property 5 has a similar problem. Note that property 5 doesn't make sense if there's no zero vector, so you can only check property 5 if property 4 turns out to hold.

TimmyJ1203 said:

TimmyJ1203 said:
Just use the definitions. I'll do 10:
$$1(x,y,z)=(1x,1y,1z)=(x,y,z).$$

Last edited:
You should stay open to the possibility that (0,0,0) isn't the additive identity under your modified addition rule. But there may still be one, in fact there is. I think Fredrik has already hinted at that.

Last edited:
Okay, let me try this again:
Part b)
Verification of 4:
v_1 + v_2 = v_1
(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (x_2, y_2, z_2) = (x_1, y_1, z_1)

So, v_2 could be (-9, -9, -9)?
Therefore, property 4 holds?

Verification of 5:
v_1 + (-v_1) = 0
The additive inverse could just be any vector in the set based on the properties. Is this correct?
So could -v_1 be (-x_1 - 9, -y_1 - 9, -z_1 - 9)?
Does that mean property 5 also holds?

I'm still missing why this isn't a vector space though. Which property fails if the scalar multiplication hasn't changed?

Last edited:
TimmyJ1203 said:
Part b)
Verification of 4:
v_1 + v_2 = v_1
According to the definition of vector addtion in part b, the left side above is ##(x_1 + x_2 + 9, y_1 + y_2 + 9, z_1 + z_2 + 9)##. So what does v2 have to be so that the above is equal to ##(x_1, y_1, z_1)##?
TimmyJ1203 said:
You tell us. Have you found a vector that passes for the zero vector?
TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of 5:
v_1 + (-v_1) = 0
The additive inverse could just be any vector in the set based on the properties. Is this correct?
You are not using the definition of vector addition as given in part b.
TimmyJ1203 said:
Does that mean property 5 also holds?
Property 5 has to hold for all vectors in the space.
TimmyJ1203 said:
I'm still missing why this isn't a vector space though. Which property fails if the scalar multiplication hasn't changed?

Mark44 said:
According to the definition of vector addtion in part b, the left side above is (x1+x2+9,y1+y2+9,z1+z2+9)(x_1 + x_2 + 9, y_1 + y_2 + 9, z_1 + z_2 + 9). So what does v2 have to be so that the above is equal to (x1,y1,z1)(x_1, y_1, z_1)?
I still don't understand. It still looks like (-9, -9, -9) satisfies it.
##(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (-9, -9, -9) = (x_1 - 9 + 9, y_1 - 9 + 9, z_1 - 9 + 9)##
Does this use the definition we were given?

Mark44 said:
I'm getting frustrated, because I do not understand. It seems like two people here are telling me that the additive identity doesn't have to be the zero vector. Yet, you seem to be telling me that it has to be a zero vector? Which is it? Why is it the way it is?

Mark44 said:
Please. Please, enlighten me. I don't understand how I'm not using the definition, because to me, it seems like I am.

Mark44 said:
So, was I wrong? I can't tell by what you said.

Thank you.

Mark44 said:
According to the definition of vector addtion in part b, the left side above is (x1+x2+9,y1+y2+9,z1+z2+9)(x_1 + x_2 + 9, y_1 + y_2 + 9, z_1 + z_2 + 9). So what does v2 have to be so that the above is equal to (x1,y1,z1)(x_1, y_1, z_1)?
TimmyJ1203 said:
I still don't understand. It still looks like (-9, -9, -9) satisfies it.
##(x_1, y_1, z_1) + (-9, -9, -9) = (x_1 - 9 + 9, y_1 - 9 + 9, z_1 - 9 + 9)##
Does this use the definition we were given?
Yes. So (-9, -9, -9) acts as the "zero" vector.

Mark44 said:
TimmyJ1203 said:
I'm getting frustrated, because I do not understand. It seems like two people here are telling me that the additive identity doesn't have to be the zero vector. Yet, you seem to be telling me that it has to be a zero vector? Which is it? Why is it the way it is?
What I said was "passes for the zero vector." That doesn't mean that it has to be literally (0, 0, 0).

Mark44 said:
TimmyJ1203 said:
Please. Please, enlighten me. I don't understand how I'm not using the definition, because to me, it seems like I am.
You have to show that for any vector v1, v1 + (-v1) = 0. Can this happen? Why or why not. Expand the left side according to the formula you are given for vector addition.
Mark44 said:
TimmyJ1203 said:
So, was I wrong? I can't tell by what you said.
See above.

An identity element of a binary operation ##\star## on a set ##X## is an ##e\in X## such that ##x\star e=e\star x=x## for all ##x\in X##. A binary operation can never have more than one identity element, because if ##e## and ##f## are both identity elements, we have ##f=f\star e=e##. So once we have proved that a binary operation has an identity element, it's always safe to talk about "the" identity element.

You showed that (-9,-9,-9) is an identity element of the addition operation in problem b). So (-9,-9,-9) is the identity element of this addition operation.

The "zero vector" in a vector space is the identity element of the associated addition operation. It's not clear at this point whether (-9,-9,-9) can be called "the zero vector", because we still don't know if we're dealing with a vector space. But it's clear that (0,0,0) shouldn't be called "the zero vector" here. It's the zero vector of a vector space that's irrelevant to this problem. If the set we're dealing with turns out to be a vector space, its zero vector is going to be (-9,-9,-9), not (0,0,0).

Edit: I realized that I had written some nonsense in the calculation in post #3. I have fixed it now, so check it out again.

Last edited:
TimmyJ1203 said:
Part b)
Verification of 4:
v_1 + v_2 = v_1

Yes.

TimmyJ1203 said:
Verification of 5:
v_1 + (-v_1) = 0
No. This would make ##v_1+(-v_1)\neq (-9,-9,-9)##.

TimmyJ1203 said:
The axioms that involve only addition seem to hold. The ones that involve only scalar multiplication must hold, since it's the standard scalar multiplication operation on ##\mathbb R^3##. So perhaps you should be looking at the two axioms that involve both addition and scalar multiplication.

Last edited:

Related to Verifying whether something is a vector space or not

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and a set of operations that can be performed on those vectors. These operations include addition and scalar multiplication, and they must follow certain properties in order for the set to be considered a vector space

2. What are the properties that a set must have to be considered a vector space?

There are 10 properties that a set must satisfy in order to be considered a vector space. These include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition, and the existence of an additive identity and additive inverse for each vector. Additionally, the set must have a scalar multiplication that is compatible with the field multiplication and have a multiplicative identity.

3. How do you verify whether something is a vector space or not?

In order to verify whether a set is a vector space or not, you must check that all 10 properties are satisfied. This involves checking closure under addition and scalar multiplication, as well as the other properties mentioned in the previous answer. If one or more properties are not satisfied, then the set is not a vector space.

4. Can a subset of a vector space also be a vector space?

Yes, a subset of a vector space can also be a vector space. As long as the subset satisfies all 10 properties of a vector space, it can be considered a vector space. However, it may not have all the same elements or operations as the original vector space.

5. What are some examples of objects that can be considered vectors in a vector space?

Some common examples of vectors in a vector space include points in a Cartesian coordinate system, polynomials, matrices, and functions. However, any set that satisfies the properties of a vector space can be considered a vector in that space.