Vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e

• Thread starter Mithra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertex
In summary, the conversation is about finding the vertex factor from a given lagrangian. The speaker initially ignores the fields and gets a factor of g_2 \sqrt{2} \gamma^\mu, but realizes that this is incorrect. They then mention that their notes suggest a factor of 1-gamma^5 and a conversion of e_L to e using the helicity conversion, but this does not give the correct factors either. They consider converting the W^(+/-) into W^1/W^2 and discuss the neutrino fields being left-handed. The advice given is to multiply the lagrangian by i, put it in plane wave form, and write the amplitude in two spinors form using chiral operators.
Mithra
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on working out the vertex factor from a lagrangian. I think I know what I should be doing however it isn't quite getting the right answer so if anyone could guide me that would be great.

[itex]\mathcal{L}_{W^-e^-\nu_e} = \frac{g_2}{\sqrt{2}}[\overline{\nu}_{eL}W^+_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}e_L + \overline{e}_L W^-_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}\nu_{eL}][/itex]

Initially I just ignored the fields and so got a factor
[itex]g_2 \sqrt{2} \gamma^\mu[/itex]
however I know this isn't right. From my notes I can see that there should be a 1-gamma^5 included, along with the factor being 1/(2*sqrt(2)) so I thought maybe I needed to convert the e_L s into just e using the helicity conversion

[itex]e_L = \frac{1-\gamma^5}{2}[/itex]

but the factors still do not seem to be coming out correctly. I'm thinking maybe I should convert the W^(+/-) into W^1/W^2 but that doesn't look like its going to be hugely successful. I haven't yet changed the neutrino fields from left-handed as I assume neutrino fields are generically left handed anyway?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
multiply lagrangian by i,put plane wave form for those operators.Also write the amplitude in two spinors form by using those chiral operator.

FAQ: Vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e

1. What is the vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e?

The vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e is a mathematical quantity that describes the strength of the interaction between a negatively charged W boson and an electron and its corresponding antineutrino.

2. How is the vertex factor calculated?

The vertex factor is calculated by using the Standard Model of particle physics and taking into account the properties of the particles involved, such as their masses and charges. It is also dependent on the energy of the interaction and the angle at which the particles are scattered.

3. Why is the vertex factor important?

The vertex factor is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. It is a fundamental quantity that is used in theoretical calculations to describe the interactions between particles.

4. Does the vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e have any experimental evidence?

Yes, the vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e has been extensively studied and verified through experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The results of these experiments have confirmed the predictions made by the Standard Model.

5. Can the vertex factor be applied to other interactions involving W bosons?

Yes, the vertex factor can be applied to other interactions involving W bosons, such as W^- -> mu + anti neutrino_mu and W^- -> tau + anti neutrino_tau. However, the specific values of the vertex factor will vary depending on the particles involved in the interaction.

Back