Vertical Deflection Off Free End Of Bar

In summary, the problem involves a 152-kg crate hanging from a steel bar with a length of 0.09 m and cross-sectional area of 3.80x10^-4 m^2. The shear stress on the bar is found to be 3920000 N/m^2 and the vertical deflection of the right end is determined using the equation δ= FL3/3EI. The answer may vary depending on the type of loading and the material properties.
ggl3

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a 152-kg crate hanging from the end of a steel bar. The length of the bar is 0.09 m, and its cross-sectional area is 3.80x10^-4 m^2. Neglect the weight of the bar itself.

(a) Determine the shear stress on the bar.
(b) Determine the vertical deflection ΔY of the right end of the bar.

Homework Equations

Stress=F/A
Tension=F=ma

Not quite sure what to do with deflection. I found ΔY=(F/A)(L/G) off another posts. Correct to use in this case?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) This was pretty simple. Just found tension which was (152kg)(9.8). Then divided that by (3.8x10^-4). I got 3920000 N/m^2

(b) This is where I am having trouble. I used the equation off another problem.
This gave me ΔY=(3920000N/m^2)(.09m/(2.0x10^11)).
I found 2.0x10^11 by looking around for Young's Modulus of steel. This gave me an answer of 1.764x10^-6. However, the answer was marked wrong.

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you have a cantilever type of beam with a point load of 152 kg acting at the free end. In which case for this type of loading, the end deflection is given by

δ= FL3/3EI

Look up cantilever end deflection for definition of the terms.

FAQ: Vertical Deflection Off Free End Of Bar

1. What is the definition of vertical deflection off the free end of a bar?

Vertical deflection off the free end of a bar is the amount of displacement or movement that occurs at the free end of a bar or beam when it is subjected to an external load.

2. What factors affect the vertical deflection of a bar?

The vertical deflection of a bar is affected by the length, material properties, cross-sectional shape, and magnitude of the external load applied to the bar. The type of support at each end of the bar also plays a significant role in determining the amount of vertical deflection.

3. How is the vertical deflection of a bar calculated?

The vertical deflection of a bar can be calculated using various methods, such as the moment-area method, the virtual work method, or the direct integration method. Each method involves solving equations that take into account the factors that affect deflection, such as the applied load, the bar's properties, and the type of support at each end.

4. What is the significance of vertical deflection in engineering?

Vertical deflection is an important consideration in engineering as it can affect the structural integrity and stability of a bar or beam. Excessive deflection can lead to failure or collapse of a structure, while insufficient deflection can result in excessive stress on the bar, potentially leading to failure over time.

5. How can vertical deflection be minimized?

To minimize vertical deflection, engineers can use various strategies such as increasing the cross-sectional area of the bar, using stiffer or stronger materials, or changing the support conditions. Additionally, designing structures with proper load distribution and considering the expected external forces can help reduce deflection.