Vertical displacement? help anyone. =]

In summary, the stunt man jumps from the top of one building to the top of another building 3.9 m away. After a running start, he leaps at an angle of 13◦ with respect to the flat roof while traveling at a speed of 5.9 m/s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2. To determine if he will make it to the other roof, which is 1.3 m shorter than the building from which he jumps, find his vertical displacement upon reaching the front edge of the lower building with respect to the taller building.
mje537
vertical displacement!? help anyone. =]

i have no idea wat to do!??

In a scene in an action movie, a stunt man
jumps from the top of one building to the
top of another building 3.9 m away. After a
running start, he leaps at an angle of 13◦ with
respect to the flat roof while traveling at a
speed of 5.9 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .
To determine if he will make it to the other
roof, which is 1.3 m shorter than the build-
ing from which he jumps, find his vertical
displacement upon reaching the front edge of
the lower building with respect to the taller
building. Answer in units of m.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums mje537.

For homework questions you must supply the relevant equations and show an attempt at solving the problem, before we can help you.

What equations are used for this type of problem?

well i tried the time equation.
t=2V0Sindeta/g
and then i used the displacement formula
y= V0t + 1/2gt2
but they told me it was wrong.
i don't want the answer i just want to know the concept of how to get the answer.
wat i do wrong.?

First try using

x = V0x t + ½ ax t2

to figure out how long it takes to reach the front edge of the lower building.

Note: you'll have to think about what V0x and ax are.

to find the time i used.
y=2V0Sindeta/g
y=2(5.9)(sin13)/9.81
y=2.7

then i used ur equation.

x=V0x t + ½ ax t2
x=(5.9)(2.7)+1/2(9.8)(2.7)2
x=15.93+35.721
x=51.651

so did i do anythin wrong.?

mje537 said:
to find the time i used.
y=2V0Sindeta/g
y=2(5.9)(sin13)/9.81
y=2.7
This equation looks wrong to me.

then i used ur equation.

x=V0x t + ½ ax t2
x=(5.9)(2.7)+1/2(9.8)(2.7)2
x=15.93+35.721
x=51.651

so did i do anythin wrong.?

I'm suggesting you begin with my equation. It describes the motion in the horizontal (x) direction. You need to know:
1. The acceleration in the horizontal direction (ax). Hint: it is not g.
2. The initial speed in the horizontal direction.

im sorry but phyiscs is my most complicated subject and i don't know
wat you mean by a.

is it the acceleration.

y=(5.9)(3.9)+1/2(1.3)(3.92)
y=23.01+9.8865
y=32.896

Here is the meaning of the terms in my equation:

x is the horizontal displacement
v[wub]0x[/sub] is the x-component of the initial velocity
t is time
ax is the horizontal component of the acceleration

It seems you have not yet learned a number of concepts that are required for solving problems like this. Not to criticize you, but you may want to schedule time with your professor or teacher, or a tutor. Somebody who can help you with this stuff in person.

The concepts needed for solving this problem:

Treating motion in the vertical and horizontal directions separately.
Using trigonometry to come up with the horizontal and vertical components of velocity (or any vector)
Knowing, for example, that "t" is used for time in these equations. This is a pretty widespread convention, I've never known anybody who used "y" for time.
Knowing that gravity provides a downward acceleration, therefore does not affect horizontal motion.

Since ax is zero (no horizontal acceleration), my earlier equation actually simplifies to

x = v0 cos(angle) t

Plug in quantities from the given information, and solve for t = time taken to reach the other building's front wall. That is a start to finding the solution, but not the final solution.

Also: I don't know if this would help, but here is some online info that covers this material:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/traj.html

For this problem in particular, scroll about 1/4 down the page to "General Ballistic Trajectory".

And please do consider talking to your teacher one-to-one ... the earlier you do that the better.

Good luck,

Mark

Related to Vertical displacement? help anyone. =]

1. What is vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement refers to the distance an object has moved vertically from a fixed reference point. It is a measure of the change in height or position of an object in a vertical direction.

2. How is vertical displacement calculated?

Vertical displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial vertical position from the final vertical position of an object. It is usually measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

3. What are some common causes of vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement can be caused by various factors such as gravity, forces acting on the object, changes in elevation, or the object being lifted or dropped.

4. What is the importance of vertical displacement in science?

Vertical displacement is an important concept in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and geology. It helps us understand the motion of objects and the effects of gravity on them.

5. Can vertical displacement be negative?

Yes, vertical displacement can be negative if the final position of an object is below the initial position. This indicates that the object has moved downwards or in a negative direction in terms of height or elevation.