Vertical Motion Homework Problem

In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown vertically upward from the edge of a cliff and reaching a maximum height of 18.6 m before falling back down to the base of the cliff in 6.60 seconds. The cliff's height can be determined using the equations for vertical motion and the assumption that gravity is 9.8m/s2. It can also be solved graphically by plotting velocity vs. time.
rg3po

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown vertically upward from the edge of a cliff. The rock reaches a maximum height of 18.6 m above the top of the cliff before falling to the base of the cliff, landing 6.60 s after it was thrown. How high is the cliff? Assume gravity= 9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

Vyf=Vyo + at
Y=Yo + 1/2(Vyo+Vyf)t
Y=Yo + Vyot + 1/2at2
Vyf2=Vyo2+ 2a(y-yo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I must figure out initial speed and the difference between the cliff and the max height. Is the initial position 0 at the height of the cliff or at the max height? Do I care that when the ball reaches the max height the speed is 0?EDIT:Figured it out, I had the dumb for few minutes

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve it graphically, velocity vs. time.

FAQ: Vertical Motion Homework Problem

1. What is vertical motion?

Vertical motion is the movement of an object in a vertical direction, either up or down.

2. How is vertical motion different from horizontal motion?

Vertical motion involves movement in the y-axis, while horizontal motion involves movement in the x-axis.

3. What is the equation for calculating vertical motion?

The equation for calculating vertical motion is y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where y is the final position, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

4. How do you determine the direction of vertical motion?

The direction of vertical motion is determined by the sign of the acceleration. If the acceleration is positive, the object is moving upward, and if the acceleration is negative, the object is moving downward.

5. What factors can affect the vertical motion of an object?

The factors that can affect the vertical motion of an object include its initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and any external forces acting upon it.