Very basic (?) particle/nuclear physics

• Thread starter fysikjatack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a collision between an alpha-particle and a silicon nucleus, resulting in a nuclear reaction. The individual is trying to determine the reaction and has attempted to solve it by adding protons and neutrons, but is unsure if this is the correct method. They also question why a stable nucleus would emit a proton and if other particles such as beta or gamma may be involved. The conversation ends with the individual questioning the role of the stable (33)S nucleus and if it is possible that the reaction takes a different path.
fysikjatack
Hi! I am taking a course called Modern Physics and I have this small issue when it comes to particle physics.

Homework Statement

"An [tex]\alpha[/tex]-particle collides with a silicon nucleus, 29Si, and a nuclear reaction takes place. One proton is emitted. What is the reaction?
Hint: 12Mg,13Al, 14Si,15P, 16S are "available" nuclei."

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

So I´m just thinking:

an alpha-particle is two protons and two neutrons and the Si nucleus is 14 protons and 15 neutrons. Addition would give 14+2=16 protons and 15+2=17 neutrons.

Hence, the result would be 33S. 33S is stable and naturally occurring (0.75%). Then one proton is emitted; subtraction one proton would give 32P. This is not naturally occurring and half-life of it is ~14 d. The rection would then be something like:

29Si + [tex]\alpha[/tex] --> 33S* --> 32P + p

Can one just add protons and neutronsl like this? The problem text states that the collision results in that a nuclear rection takes place. Can I assume that I am supposed to just add neutrons and protons like this? But why would the stable 33S emit a proton? And wouldn't it be strange to have the reaction product being the unstable 32P?

Or could it possibly be that the collision results in a reaction where the only result is one proton being emitted, resulting in an Al nucleus?

Either way, it seems TOO trivial and the hint with all the nuclei seems confusing.
Do I need to somehow look closer into nuclear stability and decay series of sorts in order to solve this problem? Or should one, somehow, just realize that the reaction is something different than my idea of "simple addition" of alpha + Si and then subtraction of p? Other particles (beta, gamma)...are they not involved here at all?

Maybe the reaction does not take the way over 33S? At first I wanted to call this 33S an excited sulfur nucleus, would that be correct terminology? I did add the "*" in the answer because of this thought...
Help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My best guess is that you're right; I'd have reasoned the same way. The (33)S is excited, or more likely never forms because the proton is knocked out immediately. But I have never taken a nuclear physics course.

Related to Very basic (?) particle/nuclear physics

1. What is a particle in physics?

A particle in physics is a tiny unit of matter that cannot be divided into smaller components. It can be a subatomic particle such as an electron, proton, or neutron, or it can be a composite particle made up of smaller particles, such as a proton or a neutron.

2. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of atomic nuclei, which are the central core of atoms. It involves the study of nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and the structure and properties of atomic nuclei.

3. What is the difference between a particle and a wave?

A particle is a localized object with a definite position and mass, while a wave is a disturbance that propagates through space and does not have a specific location or mass. In some cases, particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, known as wave-particle duality.

4. What is the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up the universe. It includes three of the four known forces of nature (electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) and explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How are particles and nuclei related?

Particles are the building blocks of atoms, and nuclei are the central core of atoms made up of protons and neutrons. Therefore, particles and nuclei are intimately related, and understanding their properties and interactions is essential in studying the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

Back