Very confused: why is the path difference in double slit interference dsinθ?

In summary, the conversation is about the path difference formula for determining the interference of two rays. The question is raised about the assumption of the two rays being parallel and the orange angle always being 90 degrees. It is clarified that the dSin(theta) equation is only true for small angles and is an approximation. The smaller the angle, the closer the approximation is to a 90 degree triangle. This helps to explain the confusion about the orange angle always being 90 degrees.
lillybeans

Homework Statement

The more I think about path difference, the more confused I get.

First of all, HOW DO PEOPLE know that the path difference is dsinθ? Why do we draw a line coming from the first ray that is PERPENDICULAR to the second ray when determining path difference?

Please see diagram:
121qtr8.jpg

If the PD is the extra distance that ray B travels, then subtracting the PD would leave AP=OP, so now you have an isosceles triangle, and the two blue angles must equal. Now, if we do "dsinθ" to determine the PD, then that gives us a right triangle. If the orange angle is always 90 degrees, then the blue angles must also be 90 degrees. This doesn't make sense, because this suggests that the two rays are parallel. If they are parallel, they'll never converge to the same point and interfere. So my question is: is this "dsinθ" formula for PD simply a simplified assumption because the slits are so close together and the screen is so far away that the rays can be thought of as "nearly parallel"? But strictly speaking the orange angle is NOT actually 90 degrees in reality?

Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The dSin(theta) equation is only true for small angles which means roughly less than 10degrees

Emilyjoint said:
The dSin(theta) equation is only true for small angles which means roughly less than 10degrees

so the formula IS an approximation and the right angle is not mathematically-proven using geometry...

I think that is more or less correct.
The smaller the angle the more that little triangle looks like a 90degree triangle.
It is an approximation but it is surprising how close Sin(theta), Tan(theta) and theta in radians are for angles less than about 10 or 20degrees

Emilyjoint said:
I think that is more or less correct.
The smaller the angle the more that little triangle looks like a 90degree triangle.
It is an approximation but it is surprising how close Sin(theta), Tan(theta) and theta in radians are for angles less than about 10 or 20degrees

Thanks, I was quite confused as to why the orange angle is always 90 degrees, but I think that it makes more sense now that it's just an approximation.

Related to Very confused: why is the path difference in double slit interference dsinθ?

1. What is the path difference in double slit interference?

The path difference in double slit interference refers to the difference in distance traveled by light waves from two different slits to a point on a screen where they interfere with each other.

2. Why is the path difference important in double slit interference?

The path difference is important because it determines the interference pattern that is created on the screen. The difference in path lengths can either result in constructive interference (bright fringes) or destructive interference (dark fringes).

3. How do you calculate the path difference in double slit interference?

The path difference can be calculated using the formula dsinθ, where d is the distance between the two slits and θ is the angle at which the light waves hit the screen. This formula is derived from the principles of trigonometry and wave interference.

4. Why does the path difference depend on the angle of incidence?

The path difference depends on the angle of incidence because it affects the distance traveled by light waves from each slit to the point on the screen. As the angle of incidence increases, the path difference also increases, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

5. How does the path difference affect the interference pattern in double slit interference?

The path difference plays a crucial role in determining the interference pattern in double slit interference. When the path difference is an integer multiple of the wavelength of light, it results in constructive interference and bright fringes. On the other hand, when the path difference is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, it results in destructive interference and dark fringes.