Very different pressure problem

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves a rectangular block of wood floating on a calm fresh water lake with a certain depth below the water surface. A dog steps on the block, pushing it downward and causing a change in the depth. The goal is to find the mass of the dog using the principles of buoyancy and Archimedes' principle. The solution involves finding the volume of water displaced by the block, the cross-sectional area of the block, and the change in displaced water volume when the dog gets on the block. Through solving equations and calculations, the mass of the dog can be determined.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A rectangular block of wood (M = 316 kg) floats on a calm fresh water lake with [itex]d_{o}[/itex] = 14.1 cm below the water. When a dog steps on the block, the block is pushed downward so that now it floads with d = 17.5 cm beneath the water. Find the mass of the dog.

Homework Equations

I would assume that I would need to use these equations:

[itex]P_{2} = P_{1} + \rho hg[/itex]
[itex]F_{Buoyant} = F_{masses}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Very hard problem here. I would assume that the approach is to write out this form and find the mass of the dog...

[itex]w_{dog} + w_{box} = \rho_{fluid} v_{box}g[/itex]

Another expressions I thought of are:

[itex]P_{2} = 1.013 * 10^{5} + \rho_{mass} * 14.1 * 10^{-2} * 9.81[/itex]
[itex]P_{3} = 1.013 * 10^{5} + \rho_{mass} * 17.5 * 10^{-2} * 9.81 + \rho_{dog} * 17.5 * 10^{-2} * 9.81[/itex]

Stuck with the problem here. Don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an Archemides principle problem. If the block has a mass of 316 kg, what volume of water is displaced by the block? Knowing the depth of the portion of the block below the water surface and the volume of water displaced, what is the cross sectional area of the block? What is the change in displaced water volume when the dog gets on the block? How much mass of water does this correspond to? What is the mass of the dog?

Chestermiller said:
This is an Archemides principle problem. If the block has a mass of 316 kg, what volume of water is displaced by the block? Knowing the depth of the portion of the block below the water surface and the volume of water displaced, what is the cross sectional area of the block? What is the change in displaced water volume when the dog gets on the block? How much mass of water does this correspond to? What is the mass of the dog?

I know that the density of the fresh water is 1,000 kg/m³. Then, do I set up the expression like this?

[itex]\rho_{fluid} v_{displacement}g = m_{block}g[/itex]

That is the expression without the dog pushing the block down. I have very hard time solving the problem.

vdisplacement = d0 times what?

Chestermiller said:
vdisplacement = d0 times what?

I guess you didn't know.

It's actually the density * volume of displacement * gravity

If you thought that it's the pressure equation, then it's...

[itex] P_{0} + \rho hg = P_{1}[/itex]

h is the height, and I multiplied that by the density and the gravity. I also included the pressure on the left side.

I am not quite sure what direction you are leading me to.

vdisplacement= d0A

where A is the cross sectional area of the block. This may help you solve the problem with the dog, although it isn't absolutely necessary to get a solution. So what is the cross sectional area of the block that you calculate?

Ah! Thanks for letting me know that. I am sorry that I didn't see this. I thought something else of what you are trying to show.

Then, it's:

[itex]\rho_{fluid} d_{0}A_{block}g = m_{block}g[/itex]

After solving for the cross-sectional area of the block, I substitute that to this equation:

[itex]\rho_{fluid} dA_{block}g = m_{block}g + m_{dog}g[/itex]

Not sure if it's right here. The value of cross-sectional area I have is approximately 2.24 m².

Actually, I'm correct. Thanks for help!

My pleasure. Nice job!

Related to Very different pressure problem

What is a very different pressure problem?

A very different pressure problem refers to any situation where the pressure exerted on an object or system is significantly different from what would be considered normal or expected. This can include extreme pressures, sudden changes in pressure, or pressure differentials between different parts of a system.

What are some examples of very different pressure problems?

Some examples of very different pressure problems include deep sea diving, high altitude mountain climbing, scuba diving, space travel, and pressurized containers or systems.

How do scientists study and understand very different pressure problems?

Scientists use various methods and tools to study and understand very different pressure problems. This can include computer simulations, mathematical models, laboratory experiments, and field observations. They also rely on knowledge of physics, chemistry, and other scientific principles to analyze and interpret data related to pressure.

What are some potential risks or dangers associated with very different pressure problems?

One of the main risks associated with very different pressure problems is the potential for physical harm to living organisms. For example, rapid changes in pressure can cause damage to the body's tissues and organs. Other risks include equipment failure, loss of oxygen, and exposure to extreme temperatures.

How can we mitigate or manage very different pressure problems?

To mitigate or manage very different pressure problems, scientists and engineers can design and use specialized equipment and systems that can withstand extreme pressures. They can also develop safety protocols and procedures for individuals who are working in or exposed to very different pressure environments. Additionally, ongoing research and technological advancements can help us better understand and address these types of pressure problems.