Very High Voltage potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for 3 adjustable HV power supplies with a range of 0-10 kV. The person asking the question is trying to avoid building two additional power supplies and is looking for a solution that is similar to an HV potentiometer. However, it is mentioned that using a potentiometer is not feasible due to the high resistance value needed to draw low currents. The person mentions designing a 5KV discrete op-amp and stacking more transistors to achieve 0-10KV, but admits it is a difficult solution. The conversation also touches on the cost and convenience of using relays, switches, and resistors for an HV switch. Another person suggests using EMCO for small HV
Ravaner
Hello. I need 3 adjustable HV power supplies (0-10 kV). I built one and as currents needed by the 2 others are very low (in the order of 1 µA). I try to avoid building PS #2 & #3. That means that I'm looking for a device which looks like a kind of HV potentiometer but of course which is not one (don't exist for these voltages). If there is a solution please tell me. I really don't want to multiply the HVPS.

Engineering news on Phys.org

I afraid there is no easy way. The solution is more complicate than the problem. You can't exactly use a potentiometer because in order not to draw too much power, the resistance value has to be high. So even drawing 1uA will cause inaccurate result.

I designed a 5KV descrete op-amp. I am sure by stacking up more transistors I can get 0 to 10KV. BUT this solution is much harder than to build a low current supply. It is not even that expensive for something that is 1uA!

Thanks for your answer. Unfortenately it confirms my concern. The only HVPS working correctly I've built uses a TV flyback tranformer with filtering and regulation. For the 2 other HVPS I've tried CCFL inverter with multiplier, but the result is very poor, large drop and huge ripple so I believed it was possible to use the main HVPS with voltage dividers ...

Could you make a potentiometer from a number of high value resistors in series and a multiple position selector switch which would switch between nodes of the resistors? It would have to be a selector switch suitable for HV of course.

Unfortunately my experience is we adjust full range and it is very inconvenient to have to drop the voltage, then switch tapes and power up. HV switches cost a lot of money also, so putting a switch is out of the question.

Small low current supply is not that expensive. It is not worth monkeying around. In HV, very simple relay and switches and resistors can cost an arm and a leg and they add up. At 10KV, you need to pot a lot of things, the money circuit, the more trouble you can get.

Last edited:

Okay then, what is the input voltage to your flyback transformer? Could you vary the voltage of your input to get a variable voltage on the output?

My main HVPS is continuously adjustable and regulated for an output from 0 to 16 kV. It produces several tens of mA. The 2 other supplies I need have also to be adjustable and regulated up to 10 kV but they have to deliver very low currents. CCFL with multiplier seemed to be a good solution, but as I told over 4 kV multiplication almost stops and ripple is out of acceptance.

We use EMCO before here is the link for some small little thingy:

http://emcohighvoltage.com/proportional.html

At 10KV, don't monkeying around. It is at the edge of what people consider "black magic"! I remember the days when we had to trouble shoot where is the little arc and little corona that cause problem. Unless you are just doing it in the garage and whatever goes go. There are a lot of things you have to worry if you do anything that is more formal( developing a product) way. You can get into situation that it work one day when the humidity is low and totally screw up otherwise. It is getting into the region like RF, unless you know what you are doing, it is like black magic. All the creepage distance, floating piece of conductor, unclean surface....

Last edited:
Many thanks for this link. I hope they have representative in Europe ... I used to work with very high voltages (in my garage !) Marx generators, Tesla coils ... After having developped my own Mass Spectrometer, for the time being I'm building a Scanning Electron Microscope.

Ravaner said:
Many thanks for this link. I hope they have representative in Europe ... I used to work with very high voltages (in my garage !) Marx generators, Tesla coils ... After having developped my own Mass Spectrometer, for the time being I'm building a Scanning Electron Microscope.

I work 14 years in mass spectrometers, semi-conductor testing equipments. I have been working with a lot of HV power supplies. Also design a lot of high speed high voltage pulsing circuits. I am sure you are familiar with those also. Part of the Time of Flight SIMS electronics that I designed for can be used as scanning electron microscope.

I hope you can get EMCO, they are about the smallest and cheapest I found at the time. We use a lot of them, some of them are as small as 15mmX15mm.

FAQ: Very High Voltage potentiometer

1. What is a Very High Voltage potentiometer?

A Very High Voltage potentiometer is a type of electrical resistor that is used to measure or adjust very high voltages, typically in the range of thousands of volts. It is designed to withstand and accurately measure these high voltages without breaking down or causing damage to surrounding components.

2. How does a Very High Voltage potentiometer work?

A Very High Voltage potentiometer works by using a resistive material, usually a long wire or ribbon, to create a variable voltage divider. By adjusting the position of a wiper along this resistive material, the output voltage can be varied. This allows for precise measurement or adjustment of very high voltages.

3. What are the applications of a Very High Voltage potentiometer?

One of the main applications of a Very High Voltage potentiometer is in high voltage testing and calibration, such as in the electrical power industry. It can also be used in research and development of high voltage equipment, as well as in specialized industrial processes that require the measurement or adjustment of high voltages.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a Very High Voltage potentiometer?

Due to the high voltages involved, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a Very High Voltage potentiometer. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper grounding and insulation, and following proper operating procedures to avoid shocks or damage to the potentiometer or other equipment.

5. How do I choose the right Very High Voltage potentiometer for my application?

When selecting a Very High Voltage potentiometer, it is important to consider the maximum voltage and power rating, as well as the accuracy and resolution needed for your specific application. It is also important to check for any additional features, such as built-in safety mechanisms or remote control capabilities, that may be necessary for your particular use case.

Back