Very hot question(Answering will get you 5 dollars, just kidding.)

• Thread starter NuclearEngineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary: So you are talking about the number of hours the time is changing over the course of a century?Correct.
NuclearEngineer
Very hot question(Answering will get you 5 dollars, just kidding.

Because Earth's rotation is gradually slowing, the length of each day increases: The day at the end of 1.0 century is 1.0 ms longer than the day at the start of the century. In 24 centuries, what is the total (in hours) of the daily increases in time (that is, the sum of the gain on the first day, the gain on the second day, etc.)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking us to do your work for you?

I've got an answer. Do you have a particular method that you are expected to use? I used simple logic, using blocks and triangle to represent accumulated time.

Last edited:
Well you need to use arithematic sequence and I got 2.81 hours total change at the end of the given tine. Maybe I understood the question wrong. Sn= n/2(2a+(n-1)d)

n=24*365*100
a=1
d=1(i think i am not sure)

Please help.
Thanks.

Your formula is for the sum a+(a+d)+(a+2d)+...+(a+(n-1)d). Since you are only summing the differences, you can put a=0. d should be the difference in the length of the day between two successive days. What is this? Hint: it's not 1ms.

For one CENTURY, the increase is one ms per day. You have to find the difference per DAY.

its changing the difference per day at the end of the centuary changing.
....|
...|
....|(1 millisecond)

rate at which the time is changing is the difference per day. I don't know what that is.
Its a tough question.We changed the question and used the value of 48 centuries and have received a value of 11.92 hours of cumulative change we used 48 as the difference. The answer was wrong.

The thing is I do not know what the difference per day is.

All I know is the difference is per day. It is a rate of change. Damn I am sorry if I cannot provide you with more information.

Ok, say the day at the beginning is 80000000 ms. At the end of a century it is 80000001 ms. What is it on the second day? Interpolate. It's just a hair over 80000000 ms. How big a hair?

the d(difference) is 1/(365* 100*60*60). If your value for n= x*365*100(where x is the value of centuries).

Thanks Dick. The answer is 2.92 cumulative hours. (This was an interesting question)

Putting some units on things would help. I couldn't figure out your d for a bit. Now I realize that you wrote it in units of millihours.

Related to Very hot question(Answering will get you 5 dollars, just kidding.)

1. What makes a question "very hot"?

The term "very hot" is subjective and can vary depending on the context and the person's perspective. In general, a hot question is one that is currently being widely discussed or debated, and often elicits strong emotions or opinions from people.

2. How do you determine the answer to a "very hot" question?

Answering a "very hot" question requires thorough research and analysis. As a scientist, I would gather data and evidence, conduct experiments or studies, and critically evaluate the information before arriving at a conclusion.

3. Can a "very hot" question have more than one answer?

Yes, it is possible for a "very hot" question to have multiple valid answers. In some cases, different perspectives or interpretations can lead to different conclusions. It is important to consider all sides and evidence before reaching a conclusion.

4. How do you handle controversy when answering a "very hot" question?

Controversial questions often elicit strong emotions and can be difficult to answer. As a scientist, it is important to remain objective and stick to facts and evidence. It is also crucial to consider and respect different viewpoints and engage in respectful and constructive dialogue.

5. How can we have productive discussions about "very hot" questions?

Productive discussions about "very hot" questions require open-mindedness, critical thinking, and respectful communication. It is important to listen to others' perspectives, ask questions, and provide evidence to support your arguments. It is also crucial to avoid personal attacks and focus on the topic at hand.