Very interesting estimation problem

In summary, Annie and Evelyn have observed that a small glass of water takes approximately 10 days to completely evaporate when left outdoors. Assuming that the glass holds 250mL of water and has a surface area of 25cm^2, it can be estimated that 25mL of water evaporates from this surface area every day. By taking into account the surface area of the Earth (71% of which is covered in water) and the cyclic pattern of precipitation, it can be concluded that the average annual precipitation on Earth would be equivalent to the amount of water in the small glass.
rocketboy
"Annie and Evelyn observe that, on average, it takes approximately 10 days for a small glass of water to completely evaporate when left outdoors. What would they estimate for the average annual precipitation on Earth?" (Answer in depth of precipitation)

Here's my though process but I have a feeling it is a bit off, if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ok, so first I assumed that a small glass holds 250mL of water and is 10cm tall, and that all water that evaporates in a year falls in that same year, so the quantity evaporated = quantity precipitated.

So the Volume of the glass = 250mL = 250cm^3

Thus 250cm^3 = Surface area of the glass x 10(cm)

Thus the surface area of the glass is 25cm^2

So it takes 10 days for 250mL of water to evaporate from an area of 25cm^2, and thus in 1 day, 25mL of water will evaporate from that surface area.

Then i found the surface area of the earth, and took 71% of that (the part of earch covered in water) and found the annual evaporation of water. Then I spread that out over the entire Earth's surface area to find the average annual precipitation in depth.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me whatever is in the cup would be the annual precepitation.

Every 10 days it will empty the cup, then rain it back down and fill up the cup. Over and over again in a cyclic pattern.

That's a very open ended question though.

Last edited:
on second glance, your work looks good to me. :smile:

FAQ: Very interesting estimation problem

1. What is an estimation problem?

An estimation problem is a task that requires a scientist to make a prediction or estimate about a certain variable or phenomenon. It involves using available information and data to come up with a reasonable guess or approximation.

2. How do scientists approach estimation problems?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to approach estimation problems. This may include analyzing data trends, using statistical models, or conducting experiments to gather more information.

3. What makes an estimation problem interesting?

An estimation problem can be considered interesting if it presents a challenge and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may also be interesting if the outcome has significant real-world implications or if it involves a complex or unique situation.

4. Is there a specific formula or approach for solving estimation problems?

There is no one-size-fits-all formula for solving estimation problems. Scientists may use different approaches depending on the nature of the problem and the available data. However, the scientific method and logical reasoning are often employed to arrive at a reasonable estimation.

5. How accurate are estimations in scientific research?

The accuracy of estimations in scientific research can vary greatly depending on the quality of the data and the methods used. Scientists strive to make their estimations as accurate as possible, but it is important to remember that they are still just educated guesses and may not always be 100% accurate.