Very Interesting Question on Division of Polynomials

In summary, you divided a polynomial by another polynomial and got the following remainder: 2kx - 9x + 8k - k^2 + 10. To get the value of a k, you subtracted your first equation from your second equation, which gave you an equation of purely "k". However, the equation still had the variable "x" in it, so you are still stuck.
modulus
Very Interesting Question on Division of Polynomials!

1. Question: 'When a polynomial f(x)= x^4 - 6x^3 + 16x^2 - 25x + 10 is divided by another polynomiall g(x)= x^2 - 2x + k, the remainder is x+a. Find the value of a k and a'.

Homework Equations

3. I tried solving it by using long division with f(x) as the dividend and g(x) as the divisor, and I figured out the remainder in terms of k and equated it with x+a; this was my first equation. After that, I used the realtion of dividend-remainder=quotient*divisor, taking the remainder in terms of 'a'. This was my second equation.

After that, I subtracted my first equation from my second, so that the 'a' canceled out, and got an equation of purely 'k', but the equation still had the variable 'x' in it, so I'm stuck again.

I need help, is my approach to the question wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand why you are dealing with "two equations". Just divide [itex]x^4- 6x^3+ 16x^2- 25x+ 10[/itex] by [itex]x^2- 2x+ k[/itex]. What remainder do you get? You should be able to determine k by setting the coefficient of x equal to 1 and then calculate a.

I don't quite understand what you mean by setting the coefficient of 'x' equal to one.

But, I divided f(x) by g(x) and got the following remainder:
2kx - 9x + 8k - k^2 + 10

In other words, you got (2k- 9)x- (k^2- 8k- 10) and that must be equal to x+ a.
Okay, on one of those has "coefficient of x" equal to 2k- 9 and the other has coefficient 1. In order to be equal for all x, those coefficients must be the same: 2k- 9= 1. Then the constant terms, -k^2+ 8k+ 10 and a must be equal: -k^2+ 8k+ 10= a.

(However, I did not get "-k^2+ 8k+ 10" for the constant term. You might try dividing again to check.)

After using long division, you should find
(x^4 - 6x^3 + 16x^2 - 25x + 10)/(x^2 - 2x + k) = x^2 - 4x + 8 - k + {(2k - 9)x + k^2 - 8k + 10}/{x^2 - 2x + k}

So the remainder is:

x + a = (2k - 9)x + k^2 - 8k + 10.

Equating like co-efficients of x gives

2k - 9 = 1 and k^2 - 8k + 10 = a.

Solving for k in the first equation gives:

2k = 10

k = 5.

Substituting into the second equation gives:

5^2 - 8. 5 + 10 = a

25 - 40 + 10 = a

a = -5.

So a = -5 and k = 5.

Is my answer correct??

Thanks

FAQ: Very Interesting Question on Division of Polynomials

1. What is the definition of division of polynomials?

Division of polynomials is a mathematical operation that involves dividing one polynomial expression by another polynomial expression. It is similar to dividing numbers, but instead of using single digits, we use algebraic expressions.

2. What is the general rule for dividing polynomials?

The general rule for dividing polynomials is to first arrange the polynomials in descending order of powers, then divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor, and multiply the result by the divisor. This process is repeated until all terms have been divided.

3. Can you provide an example of division of polynomials?

Yes, for example, if we have the expression (3x^2 + 5x + 2) ÷ (x + 2), we would first arrange the polynomials in descending order: 3x^2 + 5x + 2 ÷ x + 2. Then we divide the first term of the dividend, 3x^2, by the first term of the divisor, x, which gives us 3x. We then multiply this result by the divisor, x + 2, giving us 3x^2 + 6x. We then subtract this result from the original polynomial, (3x^2 + 5x + 2) - (3x^2 + 6x) = -x + 2. This becomes our new dividend, and we repeat the process until we have no more terms to divide. The final result is 3x - 1, with a remainder of 0.

4. Are there any special cases in division of polynomials?

Yes, there are two special cases in division of polynomials. The first is when the degree of the divisor is greater than the degree of the dividend, in which case the result is 0. The second is when the leading coefficients of the divisor and dividend are the same, in which case the result is a quotient with a degree of 0 and a remainder equal to the difference of the leading coefficients.

5. What is the importance of division of polynomials in mathematics?

Division of polynomials is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where polynomial equations are used to model real-world situations.

Back