Very quick Taylor Approximation Question

In other words, the maximum error occurs somewhere in that interval and the value of R_6(x) gives you a bound on that maximum error.In summary, we were asked to find the 6th degree Taylor polynomial for f(x) = sin x at x = 0. After correcting a sign error, the correct polynomial is p_6(x) = x - (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120. To estimate the accuracy of this approximation on the interval [-1,1], we can use the error expression R_6(x) = f(x) - p_6(x) and find its maximum value within the interval.
michonamona

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = sin x
a) find p_6 (taylor polynomial 6th degree) for f at x = 0
b) How accurate is this on the interval [-1,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got p_6 = x + (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120, which was correct as per the solution manual. My issue is with part b.

What's the procedure that one takes to estimate the accuracy of a taylor approximation within a given interval?

Thank you all for your help
M

Physics news on Phys.org
One of your signs is wrong in your polynomial. The Maclaurin series for sin(x) (which is a Taylor series evaluated at 0) is an alternating series. Do you know a formula for estimating the error when you truncate an alternating series? There's also a formula for a bound on the error in a Taylor series.

My mistake, the correct formula is:

p_6(x) = x - (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120

I understand that, in order to find the error, we must f(x) - p_6(x) = R_6(x). Where R_6(x) represents the error. What I don't understand is where the interval [-1,1] come into play.

Thanks!

M

The error expression, R_6(x) is a function of x. Since x is in the interval [-1, 1], then R_6(x) has a maximum value somewhere on that interval.

FAQ: Very quick Taylor Approximation Question

1. What is a Taylor Approximation?

A Taylor Approximation is a method used in calculus to approximate a function with a polynomial, typically around a specified point. It is used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

2. How is a Taylor Approximation calculated?

To calculate a Taylor Approximation, we use the Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of terms that involves the function's derivatives evaluated at the specified point. The more terms we include in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor Approximation?

The main purpose of using a Taylor Approximation is to approximate a complex function with a simpler one. This can make calculations and analysis easier, especially for functions that are difficult to work with directly.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor Approximation and a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Approximation is a specific polynomial that is used to approximate a function, whereas a Taylor Series is an infinite sum of terms that can be used to calculate the approximation. In other words, the Taylor Approximation is a single polynomial, while the Taylor Series is the entire sum of polynomials.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor Approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor Approximation. First, it only works well for functions that are smooth and have continuous derivatives. It also may not be accurate for functions with large fluctuations or oscillations. Additionally, the Taylor Approximation is only valid within a certain interval around the specified point.