Very simple mechanics question,

• Thread starter Boogeyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, a sand is being poured at a steady rate of 5g/s onto a pan of a direct reading balance. The sand falls from a height of 0.20m and does not bounce off the pan. The reading on the balance 10s after the sand first hits the pan is 51g. This is determined by calculating the potential energy of the sand before being poured and equating it to the kinetic energy of the sand after it hits the pan, as well as using the kinematics formula to find the velocity of the sand upon impact. The total downward force on the pan is equal to the weight of the sand plus the force caused by the continuous transfer of momentum from the sand to the pan at a rate
Boogeyman

Homework Statement

Sand is poured at a steady rate of 5g/s onto the pan of a direct reading balance calibrated in grams. If the sand falls from a height of 0.20m onto the pan and it does not bounce off the pan then, neglecting any motion of the pan, calculate the reading on the balance 10s after than sand first hits the pan.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the solution was to simply find the mass of sand that would fall after 10s i.e 50g. However this is not the answer.

Evidently, the height from which it falls must therefore affect the reading on the balance. Does the acceleration that occurs in the fall affect the reading? If this is the case, I am tempted to find Potential Energy.

PE=mgh
PE=(0.05)(10)(0.2)
PE=0.1J

Since energy is conserved then the total energy remains the same:
PE of sand before being poured=KE of sand before it hits the pan
KE=0.1J

KE=1/2 mv2

Now if any of this was correct, how do I find v?

Physics news on Phys.org
The net force on an object is equal to its rate of change of momentum. In this case, because the sand does not bounce, it seems continuously transferred from the sand to the pan.

cepheid said:
The net force on an object is equal to its rate of change of momentum. In this case, because the sand does not bounce, it seems continuously transferred from the sand to the pan.

You are saying f=ma right? How do I use this? And what does the second part of what you said mean?

Boogeyman said:
You are saying f=ma right?

Not exactly. That's only a special case of Newton's Second Law for situations in which the mass is constant. The most general statement of Newton's Second law is that the net force on an object is equal to its rate of change of momentum. In this case, the pan's mass is changing at a certain rate, and therefore its momentum is changing at a certain rate, which is equal to the force it is experiencing.

Boogeyman said:
How do I use this? And what does the second part of what you said mean?

Sorry, the second part of what I said had a really bad typo and should have read:

In this case, because the sand does not bounce, it seems momentum is continuously transferred from the sand to the pan.

Ok but then we need to find the velocity the sand is moving with. Did I do that correctly or do you not have to find it?

Yes, you can find the velocity of the sand upon impact from conservation of energy as you have described:

(1/2)mv2 = mgh

v2 = 2gh​

Or you could use the kinematics formula which says that:

vf2 = 2ah​

You'll notice that these are in fact exactly the same equation.

cepheid said:
Yes, you can find the velocity of the sand upon impact from conservation of energy as you have described:

(1/2)mv2 = mgh

v2 = 2gh​

Or you could use the kinematics formula which says that:

vf2 = 2ah​

You'll notice that these are in fact exactly the same equation.

p=mv
p=(5)(2)
p=10
p/t=F
F=10/10
F=1?
m=1/10
=WRONG!:cry:

Dude I am not getting the answer from the back of the book. I used this value of v, and found change in momentum. Then I found the force after ten second.

BTW, the answer is 51g. :confused:

Boogeyman said:
p=mv

This is true

Boogeyman said:
p=(5)(2)

But this is not true. The 5g/s is NOT the mass. It is the *rate* at which mass is flowing onto the pan. Hence, grams PER second. In other words, it is the change in mass divided by the change in time:

[tex] \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t} = 5\, \textrm{g/s} [/tex]

Therefore, what IS true is that the rate of change of momentum is given by:

[tex] \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} = \left(\frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t}\right)v[/tex]

By Newton's second law, this is equal to F. So there are two forces on the pan after 10 s. One is due to the *weight* of the total amount of sand accumulated on the pan (which is just the weight of 50 g). The second force on the pan is what we just calculated...the force that manifests itself because sand is flowing onto the pan and is therefore transferring vertical momentum to it at a certain rate. If add these together to get the total force on the pan, you'll see that the weigh scale is going to give you a measurement that is slightly higher than 50 g because it "feels" a higher force than just the weight of the sand, and therefore it assumes/concludes that it is being loaded by a slighter larger mass.

I UNDERSTAND! Thanks so much. I have never done a question quite like this, and these rates questions are proving to be tricky.

So Fw + F[tex]\Delta[/tex]p = Total downward force
Therefore, Fw=0.5N

F[tex]\Delta[/tex]p=0.005 x 2

=0.01

Total downward force=0.5 + 0.01

=0.51N

Mass=51g

Related to Very simple mechanics question,

1. What is a "very simple mechanics question"?

A very simple mechanics question is a question that deals with basic concepts in mechanics, such as forces, motion, and energy.

2. What are some examples of "very simple mechanics questions"?

Examples of very simple mechanics questions include: What is Newton's First Law of Motion? How do you calculate the velocity of an object? What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

3. Why is it important to understand "very simple mechanics questions"?

Understanding very simple mechanics questions is important because they form the basis for more complex concepts in physics and engineering. Without a solid understanding of these basic concepts, it becomes difficult to grasp more advanced topics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of "very simple mechanics questions"?

The best way to improve your understanding of very simple mechanics questions is through practice and repetition. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.

5. Are "very simple mechanics questions" only relevant to scientists and engineers?

No, very simple mechanics questions are relevant to anyone who wants to understand the fundamental principles of how objects move and interact with each other. This knowledge can be useful in a variety of fields, such as sports, transportation, and everyday life.