Very simple motion problem, i just cant get it

• Thread starter stangeroo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the time it takes to travel from the gate to baggage claim on a broken moving sidewalk is 50 seconds, while standing on the moving sidewalk without walking takes 75 seconds. If you walk while riding on the moving sidewalk, the time taken will depend on the average velocities in each situation. One can use these velocities to describe the new situation.
stangeroo
When the moving sidewalk at the airport is broken, as it often seems to be, it takes you 50 s to walk from your gate to baggage claim. When it is working and you stand on the moving sidewalk the entire way, without walking, it takes 75 s to travel the same distance.

How long will it take if you walk while riding on the moving sidewalk :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the sidewalk your unit of length. Use this to produce the average velocities describing your motion in either situation.

K, now what can you do with those velocities that might describe the new situation?

If you walk while riding on the moving sidewalk, it will take you less than 50 seconds to travel from your gate to baggage claim. This is because the moving sidewalk is already helping you move forward, so walking will make you travel even faster. The exact time will depend on your walking speed, but it will definitely be less than 50 seconds.

FAQ: Very simple motion problem, i just cant get it

1. What is a "very simple motion problem"?

A very simple motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object in a straightforward and uncomplicated scenario. It usually involves the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and can often be solved using basic equations such as d = vt or v = u + at.

2. Why do some people struggle with solving simple motion problems?

Some people may struggle with solving simple motion problems because they have difficulty understanding the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, or they may not be familiar with the equations and formulas used to solve these types of problems. It can also be challenging to visualize the motion of an object in a problem, especially if it involves multiple dimensions or changing speeds.

3. How can I improve my ability to solve simple motion problems?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your ability to solve simple motion problems. Reviewing the concepts and equations involved and working through various examples can also help. Additionally, it can be beneficial to break the problem down into smaller, simpler steps and to draw diagrams to help visualize the motion of the object.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving simple motion problems?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving simple motion problems. These include using the wrong equation or formula, mixing up the units of measurement, and not paying attention to the direction of the motion. It's important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and units throughout the problem.

5. Can I use real-life examples to better understand simple motion problems?

Absolutely! Real-life examples can be very helpful in understanding simple motion problems. For instance, you can think about the motion of a car driving on a straight road or a ball being thrown into the air. These examples can help you visualize the concepts and equations involved in solving the problem and make it easier to understand and apply them.

Back