Very simple: second order derivative in wave equation

In summary, the equation states that if you make h go to 0 then the second term in the equation goes to zero and the first term is the same.
mr_sparxx
In the equation regarding an array of masses connected by springs in wikipedia the step from
$$\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2}$$

To
$$\frac {\partial ^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2}$$

By making ##h \to 0## is making me wonder how is it rigorously demonstrated. I mean:
$$\frac {\partial ^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} = \lim_{h\to 0} \frac {u_x(x+h,t)-u_x(x,t)} { h}$$
But we have
$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\frac {u(x+2h)-u(x+h)}{h}-\frac {u(x+h)-u(x)}{h}}{h}$$
How do we demonstrate that these two expressions are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, I am using $$u_x(x,t) = \frac {\partial u} {\partial x}$$

I keep looking at it and it has to do with continuity, differentiability and properties of limits... but I cannot figure it out. Once again I would like to know the mathematical justification that states that doing the following is safe (I've get rid of the time dependency for simplicity):

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\frac {u(x+2h)-u(x+h)}{h}-\frac {u(x+h)-u(x)}{h}}{h} =
\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\lim_{d\to 0}\frac {u(x+h+d)-u(x+h)}{d}-\lim_{d\to 0}\frac {u(x+d)-u(x)}{d}}{h}$$

So, we assume that ##u(x)## is a twice continuously differentiable function in an interval ##I## which contains ##a##, and we want to prove that

##\lim_{h\to 0}\frac {u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)}{h^2}=u''(a).##

Fix ##h## and put ##\phi(x)=u(x+h)-u(x)## for all ##x## such that both ##x## and ##x+h## lie in ##I##. Assuming that ##a+2h\in I##, we obtain, by the Mean Value Theorem:

##u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)=\phi(a+h)-\phi(a)=\phi'(a+\theta h)h=(u'(a+\theta h +h) - u'(a+\theta h))h,##

for some ##\theta \in (0,1)##.

Then, you can use the Mean Value Theorem again and use that ##u''## is continuous at ##a## to obtain the desired result. I leave this as an exercise.

Last edited:
Likes mr_sparxx
I see. Then, using the Mean Value Theorem again

##(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)=(u'(a+\theta h +h) - u'(a+\theta h))h = u''(a+\theta h + \lambda h) h^2##

for some ##\lambda \in (0,1)##, and using that ##u''(x)## is continuous,

##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac {u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)}{h^2}=\lim_{h\to 0} u''(a+(\theta + \lambda) h) =u''(a) .##Thank you very much!

I understand your curiosity about the rigor of mathematical expressions. In this case, the demonstration of the equality between the two expressions can be done using the definition of the second derivative and the limit definition of the derivative.

First, let's rewrite the first expression in terms of the second derivative:
$$\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2} = \frac {u(x+2h,t)-u(x+h,t)}{h^2} - \frac {u(x+h,t)-u(x,t)}{h^2}$$
Now, we can use the definition of the second derivative:
$$\frac {u(x+2h,t)-u(x+h,t)}{h^2} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} (x+h,t)$$
$$\frac {u(x+h,t)-u(x,t)}{h^2} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} (x,t)$$
Substituting these back into the original expression, we get:
$$\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} (x+h,t) - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} (x,t)$$
Now, using the limit definition of the derivative, we can rewrite this as:
$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2} = \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (x+h,t) - \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (x,t)}{h}$$
Which is the same as the second expression you provided. Therefore, it can be demonstrated that the two expressions are equal.

I hope this helps to clarify the rigor behind the step in the wave equation. Keep questioning and seeking understanding in your scientific pursuits.

FAQ: Very simple: second order derivative in wave equation

1. What is a second order derivative?

A second order derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a rate of change. It is denoted by the symbol d2y/dx2 and is the second derivative of a function y with respect to its independent variable x.

2. How is a second order derivative used in the wave equation?

In the wave equation, a second order derivative is used to describe the acceleration of a wave. It represents the change in the wave's velocity over time and is an important component in understanding the behavior and properties of waves.

3. What is the difference between a first order and second order derivative?

A first order derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while a second order derivative represents the rate of change of the function's rate of change. In other words, a first order derivative describes how quickly a function is changing, while a second order derivative describes how quickly the rate of change of that function is changing.

4. How is a second order derivative calculated?

To calculate a second order derivative, you must first take the first derivative of the function and then take the derivative of that result. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of the second order derivative?

The concept of second order derivatives is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to describe the motion of objects, the behavior of systems, and the rate of change of various quantities. For example, in physics, second order derivatives are used to describe the acceleration of objects in motion, while in economics, they are used to analyze the changes in economic indicators over time.