Very simple Vector Problem - confused by 3 vectors

In summary, the problem involves a commuter plane traveling from an airport to City A, then to City B, and finally to City C. The distances and directions of each leg of the trip are given. To find the location of City C relative to the starting point, the three vectors must be added component-wise and the Pythagorean theorem can be used on the components of the resultant vector.
07triumphd675
Very simple Vector Problem -- confused by 3 vectors...

Homework Statement

A commuter plane starts from an airport and takes the route: It first flies to City A located 175 km away in a direction of 30 degrees north of east. Then it flies for 150 km 20 degrees west of north to City B. Finally the plane flies for 190 km due west to City C. Find the location of City C relative to the location of the starting point.

Homework Equations

Ax = Cos(x)(a)
Ay = Sin(y)(a)

So on and so forth --- all the way through Cx = Cos(x)(c) and Cy =Sin(y)(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is pretty easy to me and I would draw you a picture but I don't have paint on my Mac. Mainly, I'm confused is that there are 3 vectors given here and you are to find the Resultant vector from A ---- > C. I'm used to just two vectors and then finding the resultant vector from A ---- > B. What do you do when you've got an additional vector there? The pythagorean theorem will not work. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

add the three vectors *component-wise* and then use pythagoras on the components of the resultant.

Ohhh so add Ax + Bx + Cx and then Ay + By + Cy and then use the Pythagorean theorem accordingly.

Wala. Thank-you!

FAQ: Very simple Vector Problem - confused by 3 vectors

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add two vectors?

To add two vectors, you must first align them so that their tails are at the same point. Then, draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. This new vector represents the sum of the two original vectors.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, such as speed or temperature. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can represent quantities in any direction, including negative directions. A negative vector simply means that the direction of the vector is opposite to the direction it is pointing.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is the hypotenuse and the x and y components of the vector are the legs of a right triangle. The formula is: magnitude = √(x² + y²).