Very trick velocity vs. time graph

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding a graph that shows both velocity and acceleration changes over time. They are looking for help understanding the concept of a curve, and how it relates to the two graphs. Feldoh's help was invaluable in explaining the concept of a curve and how it relates to the graphs.
ChrisEffinSmi
Very tricky velocity vs. time graph

Homework Statement

Doing a very basic lab on force and motion and ran into a snag with a graph. It's a very wildly changing acceleration graph, and I'm unsure how to proceed with the matching velocity graph. I know that a curved acceleration graph would indicate an even more steeply curved velocity graph, but I'm mentally visualizing too many positive and negative accelerations to get my head around this. Please help.

Homework Equations

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/question/Vgraph.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/question/vgraphattempt1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken a calculus class yet? If you have not those sharp points in your velocity graph (i.e. at t = 1) do not have continuous derivatives, so that cannot be the answer because, well, you have the acceleration graph which is continuous.

Remember that a = dv/dt so it's the change in the velocity. So where ever the acceleration is positive the velocity will be increasing, does this help at all?

Feldoh said:
Have you taken a calculus class yet? If you have not those sharp points in your velocity graph (i.e. at t = 1) do not have continuous derivatives, so that cannot be the answer because, well, you have the acceleration graph which is continuous.

Remember that a = dv/dt so it's the change in the velocity. So where ever the acceleration is positive the velocity will be increasing, does this help at all?

No calculus yet unfortunately. Those sharp points are supposed to be sharply rounded curves, but I don't think that makes much sense either. I'm aware of what acceleration is, but when acceleration is changing at a non-constant rate (curved acceleration graph), then that means that velocity is increasingly increasingly increasing (or increasingly increasingly decreasing). Not an easy thing to visualize. Add positive and negative acceleration and positive and negative velocity into the mix and it gets really confusing.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help: http://filer.case.edu/pal25/pic.jpg

You're right it is hard to visualize the first time you see it, but it gets easier the more you analyze these graphs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feldoh said:
Maybe this will help: http://filer.case.edu/pal25/pic.jpg

You're right it is hard to visualize the first time you see it, but it gets easier the more you analyze these graphs.

If my newest attempt is correct then yes, your image helped very much. Otherwise, I'm still lost.

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/question/vgraphattempt3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that looks right.

Looks good...the only thing is that the final velocity might not be that high.

As Feldoh said, it's hard to visualize, but the more experience you get, the easier it gets.

Feldoh said:
Yes, that looks right.

Wellesley said:
Looks good...the only thing is that the final velocity might not be that high.

As Feldoh said, it's hard to visualize, but the more experience you get, the easier it gets.

Thanks so much. It was very difficult until Feldoh pointed out the fact that while the acceleration graph was sloping downward it was still a positive value, meaning that velocity was still increasing, just not as largely incremental. Then it was easy to extrapolate that the negative acceleration merely negated the initial positive acceleration and brought the velocity back to the original value.

I love physics, but sometimes I feel it's going to be the death of me (and this is only 100 level!)

Related to Very trick velocity vs. time graph

1. What does a very trick velocity vs. time graph indicate?

A very trick velocity vs. time graph typically indicates a rapid change in velocity over a short period of time. This can be seen as a steep slope on the graph.

2. How is the velocity calculated on a very trick velocity vs. time graph?

The velocity on a very trick velocity vs. time graph is calculated by finding the slope of the graph at a specific point. This can be done by finding the change in velocity over the change in time at that point.

3. Can a very trick velocity vs. time graph have negative values?

Yes, a very trick velocity vs. time graph can have negative values. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph.

4. What does a flat line on a very trick velocity vs. time graph indicate?

A flat line on a very trick velocity vs. time graph indicates that the velocity of the object is constant over time. This can also be seen as a slope of 0 on the graph.

5. How is acceleration related to a very trick velocity vs. time graph?

Acceleration is related to a very trick velocity vs. time graph by the slope of the graph. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration.