Very very noob calculation verification [BEDMAS]

In summary, the conversation is discussing a discrepancy in a calculation for x' and t'. The original poster calculated x' to be 3.291*104, which does not match with the given answer key. However, they are confident in their calculation. Other posters point out that the solution may have converted the units without indicating it, and that a negative time interval could make sense. After further discussion, it is determined that the given solution is off by a factor of 1000.
seto6

Homework Statement

95n89e.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated and got like

x'=3.291*104 ---->this does not match with answer key, but I am sure its correct.
could some one verify this pls

t'=-4.618*10-5---. this makes sense

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be correct, it doesn't have the right units.

What calculation did you do? Show your work...

i did the exact thing as the solution, i think they converted the x'=32917.5m to x'=32.9km and did not indicate it...

x' should be less than x. t' should be greater than t. Also a negative time interval doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
-ve means it happened before no?

seto6 said:
i did the exact thing as the solution, i think they converted the x'=32917.5m to x'=32.9km and did not indicate it...
They're the same thing (except for rounding), it's not necessary to indicate anything for that conversion.

And a negative time interval could make sense, if it's the time difference from A to B and B happened before A.

Anyway, I still don't see your work. Unless the image you show is actually the work you did? I thought it was the given solution.

Aha: I just checked the calculations in the image you showed. I can't say whether the calculation is set up correctly, but there is definitely an error. When I plug
[tex](1.155)\bigl[3.0\times 10^4\,\mathrm{m} - (0.5)(3.0\times 10^8\tfrac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}})(1.0\times 10^{-5}\,\mathrm{s})\bigr][/tex]
into my calculator, I get [itex]32.9\,\mathrm{km}[/itex]. So the result shown in the image is off by a factor of 1000 - probably whoever did that calculation wrote the wrong units on the result.

its from a solution Manuel. I am 100% sure its wrong off by a factor of 1000

diazona said:
Anyway, I still don't see your work. Unless the image you show is actually the work you did? I thought it was the given solution.

as i think is said it the solution give nis the same as my work that how i did it then when i looked at solution it was the same but off by 1 factor of 1000..so i was confused so i asked thanks for the help

FAQ: Very very noob calculation verification [BEDMAS]

1. What is BEDMAS?

BEDMAS is an acronym used to remember the order of operations in mathematical equations. It stands for Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, and Subtraction.

2. Why is BEDMAS important in calculation verification?

BEDMAS is important because it provides a standardized order of operations which ensures that mathematical calculations are performed accurately and consistently. Without BEDMAS, different individuals may interpret equations differently, leading to incorrect results.

3. What happens if BEDMAS is not followed?

If BEDMAS is not followed, the resulting calculation may be incorrect. This is because the order of operations can greatly impact the outcome of a calculation, particularly when involving multiple operations.

4. Are there any exceptions to BEDMAS?

There are some exceptions to BEDMAS, particularly when it comes to equations involving exponents and roots. In these cases, exponents and roots are evaluated before multiplication and division, but after brackets.

5. How can I remember the order of operations in BEDMAS?

One way to remember BEDMAS is to use the mnemonic "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally," in which the first letter of each word represents the order of operations. Another way is to remember the phrase "Brackets eat Donuts, Multiply Apples, Subtract Candy," which also follows the order of operations.

Back