Vf = 0.88 m/s Solving Momentum Question: 82kg Girl & 46kg Boy on Skateboard

• Thread starter niki4d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the girl is coasting along the floor on a large 2.0kg skateboard. If a 46kg boy jumps on to the same skateboard, the skateboard will immediately have a speed of 0.97 m/s.
niki4d

Homework Statement

A 82kg girl is coasting along the floor on a large 2.0kg skateboard. If she is moving 1.8 m/s when a 46kg boy jumps on to the same skateboard, what is the speed of the skateboard immediately after the boy jumps on it?

Homework Equations

Sum of Initial Momentum = Sum of Final Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

This question looked pretty easy.. but I am sure I am doing something wrong... here's what I did so far:
(84kg)(1.8m/s) + (130kg)(0m/s) = (84kg + 130kg)Vf

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry.. forgot the last part..
I got vf=0.7065m/s

Im not sure if this is right or not.. it SEEMS like an okay speed.. but I havn't done this type of question before.. so just want to be sure. Thanks!

niki4d said:
(84kg)(1.8m/s) + (130kg)(0m/s) = (84kg + 130kg)Vf

You should only be looking at the initial and final momentums of the skateboard (and what ever is on it).

So it starts off with a total mass of 84 kg, going at 1.8 m/s. At the end, It has the mass of a 46 kg boy, so the total mass is 130 kg, and v_1 m/s is what we are trying to find. Equating both sides and making v_1 the subject;

[tex] 84 kg \cdot 1.8 ms^{-1} = 130 kg \cdot v_1 ms^{-1}[/tex]

[tex] v_1 = \frac{84 \cdot 1.8}{130}[/tex]

I can already tell that's larger than one, so recheck your answer =]

Hmm.. that makes sense.. but the answer to that would be 1.163m/s. The answer is 0.97m/s. I don't know how to get to that..

Last edited:
Well, That is somewhat odd...I think it's an error in the textbook, but it has been a while since I've studied Physics so I recommend you wait for someone who has more knowledge in this area to confirm.

unless there are something else in the problem we have not addressed, otherwise I believe Gib Z's correct.

Yeah.. more than likely it is.. thanks for the help!

Related to Vf = 0.88 m/s Solving Momentum Question: 82kg Girl & 46kg Boy on Skateboard

1. What is the momentum of the girl and boy on the skateboard?

The momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity. In this case, the girl has a mass of 82kg and a velocity of 0.88 m/s, while the boy has a mass of 46kg and the same velocity. Therefore, the total momentum of the girl and boy on the skateboard is 72.16 kg*m/s.

2. Is momentum conserved in this situation?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In this case, the girl and boy are the only objects on the skateboard, so the total momentum before and after their ride will be the same. Therefore, momentum is conserved in this situation.

3. What is the direction of the momentum?

Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this situation, the direction of the momentum will be in the same direction as the velocity of the girl and boy, which is forward.

4. How can the momentum of the system be changed?

The momentum of a system can be changed by altering the mass or velocity of the objects within the system. For example, if the girl and boy were to increase their velocity while on the skateboard, the momentum of the system would also increase.

5. Why is it important to consider momentum in this situation?

Momentum is important in this situation because it helps us understand the motion and interactions of objects. In this case, the momentum of the girl and boy on the skateboard can affect how the skateboard moves and how they may interact with their surroundings. It also helps us understand the conservation of momentum and how it applies to real-world situations.