Vibrate a string with electricity? Best ways?

In summary, it is possible to vibrate a string with electricity using an electro-magnet placed close to the string. The electro-magnet should be pulsed at the fundamental resonate frequency of the string for optimal efficiency, although different frequencies or harmonic intervals may also work. The electro-magnet can be fed a sine-wave or any other wave to excite the string. The most efficient placement of the electro-magnet may vary and can be determined experimentally. Additionally, an EBow device can also be used to vibrate strings with electricity.
MauriceWaves
Is it possible to vibrate a string with electricity? I'm guessing an electro-magnet placed close to the string would be able to vibrate it.

If the electro-magnet is used to vibrate the string, I'm guessing the electro-magnet should be pulsed at the fundamental resonate frequency of the string? Maybe different frequencies or harmonic intervals are more efficient? And I wonder should the electro-magnet be fed a sine-wave or is some other wave more appropriate to excite the string?

Also is there anything that would tell me where the most efficient placement of the electro-magnet would be?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, an electromagnet will do nothing to string. Absolutely nothing, unless you physically hit the string with the electromagnet.

UncertaintyAjay said:
As far as I know, an electromagnet will do nothing to string. Absolutely nothing, unless you physically hit the string with the electromagnet.

Here's a project where electro-magnets are used to actuate strings on a piano.

http://music.ece.drexel.edu/research/mrp/actuation

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much else on the internets.

Ohhhh, you're talking about metallic strings, I was thinking of the rope thingies. In that case yeah. But you have to vary the field of the electromagnet. Doesn't have to be resonant frequency though. As long as you have a changing magnetic field, you'll move the wire. So, if your current to the electromagnet oscillates( like a.c , which is sinusoidal, but it doesn't have to be), the string will vibrate

MauriceWaves said:
Is it possible to vibrate a string with electricity? I'm guessing an electro-magnet placed close to the string would be able to vibrate it.

An EBow is one such device:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBow

I used one a few years ago, great fun.

Related to Vibrate a string with electricity? Best ways?

1. How does electricity vibrate a string?

When an electrical current passes through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the string, causing it to vibrate.

2. What are the best ways to vibrate a string with electricity?

The best ways to vibrate a string with electricity depend on the specific setup and desired result. One common way is to use an electromagnetic pickup, which converts the vibrations of the string into electrical signals. Another way is to use an electrically charged object, such as a comb or balloon, to create static electricity and cause the string to vibrate.

3. What is the difference between using AC and DC electricity to vibrate a string?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) electricity differ in the direction of the flow of electrons. AC electricity changes direction periodically, while DC electricity flows in one direction. The type of electricity used can affect the strength and type of vibration produced in the string.

4. Can any type of string be vibrated with electricity?

Yes, any type of string can be vibrated with electricity as long as it is conductive and can interact with the magnetic field created by the electrical current. However, different types of strings may produce varying levels of vibration and sound.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when vibrating a string with electricity?

Yes, it is important to handle electricity with caution and follow proper safety measures. This includes using appropriate insulation, avoiding contact with live wires, and using a power source with the appropriate voltage for the setup. It is also important to avoid touching the string while it is being vibrated with electricity to prevent electric shocks.