Vibration analysis - thin circular plate

In summary, the individual is shifting their focus at work to analyzing a vibration issue and is seeking guidance on relevant reading materials. They are trying to replicate a real-life system mathematically to aid in design options, specifically using a thin circular carbon steel disc supported by a vertical ring. The peaks in transmissibility are higher than expected and the goal is to define vertical displacement at the center of the discs. The individual suggests using Chladni patterns to examine the modes experimentally.
gflat
I'm moving on to a new area of focus at work and have found myself analysing a vibration issue. I've had the basics a BSME gets you at an accredited university (20 yrs ago), but am rusty to say the least. I'm looking for guidance on good reading materials to knock the rust off.

My problem is as follows. I'm trying to mathematically mimic a real life system so I can proceed with design options.

A thin (.060) circular carbon steel (galvanized) disc, supported at the edges around the circumference by a vertical ring (not welded, just metal interference above and below along the edges). Diameters of 10"-30".

Peaks in transmissibility below 30Hz of 14:1 in sweeps (more than double in dwells at peak frequency).

I'm ultimately trying to mathematically define vertical displacement at the center of the discs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would approach this experimentally. Look at the modes using Chladni patterns.

Thanks PietKuip.

FAQ: Vibration analysis - thin circular plate

1. What is vibration analysis?

Vibration analysis is a scientific method used to study the behavior of mechanical systems under dynamic loading. It involves measuring and analyzing the vibrations of a system to understand its natural frequencies, modes of vibration, and response to external forces.

2. How is vibration analysis used in studying thin circular plates?

Vibration analysis is commonly used to study thin circular plates by measuring the vibrational response of the plate to different frequencies and boundary conditions. This helps in understanding the structural integrity and dynamic behavior of the plate, which is crucial in many engineering applications.

3. What is the natural frequency of a thin circular plate?

The natural frequency of a thin circular plate is the frequency at which the plate will vibrate freely when excited by an external force. It is dependent on the material properties, dimensions, and boundary conditions of the plate. The natural frequency is an important parameter in vibration analysis as it determines the plate's response to external forces.

4. How is the mode shape of a thin circular plate determined?

The mode shape of a thin circular plate is determined by analyzing the vibration patterns of the plate at different frequencies. Each mode shape corresponds to a specific natural frequency, and it represents the displacement of the plate at that frequency. The mode shape provides valuable insights into the dynamic behavior of the plate and its response to different loading conditions.

5. What are some applications of vibration analysis in thin circular plates?

Vibration analysis in thin circular plates has various applications in engineering, including the design and analysis of structures such as aircraft wings, satellite antennas, and musical instruments. It is also used in quality control and testing of thin circular plates in manufacturing processes, such as in the automotive and aerospace industries.