Vibration exciter input power vs output from a piezo

In summary, the conversation is about a measurement of a piezo element fixed onto a vibration shaker. The force exerted on the piezo is measured with an impedance head and found to be 0.124 N (rms). The vibration frequency is 142.4 Hz and the acceleration is measured as 0.35 m/s² (rms). The electrical output power of the piezo is found to be 1.42 mW. The input power is calculated to be 0.04 mW, which is much smaller than the output power and seems to be a factor 1000 wrong. The person is seeking feedback and advice on their findings.
beagles

Homework Statement

Hello, I did the following measurement:

A piezo element (mass approx. 50 gram) is fixed onto a vibration shaker
The force exert on the piezo, 0,124 N (rms) is measured with an impedance head
The vibration frequency (sinusoidal signal) is 142,4 Hz
The acceleration is measered as 0,35 m/s² rms.
The electrical output power of the piezo is measured as 1,42 mW

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated input power: 0,35*1/(2*pi*142,4)*0,124=0,04mW (=speed * force)
with the speed = integral of the acceleration and 2*pi*142 the angular frequency

So the input power is much smaller than the output electrical power, which is impossible, it seems to be a factor 1000 wrong? Does anyone see my error, or measured value that is abnormal? Thanks already!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I did my best describing the problem as accurately as possible. Is the problem i stated not clear, should it be reformulated? Could anyone give a hint on what could be wrong?

Thank you already!

Hi,

Isn't there anyone who can give me some feedback on this?

Thanks,

Related to Vibration exciter input power vs output from a piezo

What is a vibration exciter?

A vibration exciter is a device used to impart controlled vibrations to a mechanical system. It typically consists of a motor, an eccentric mass, and a mounting mechanism.

What is a piezo?

A piezo is a type of material that can generate electricity when subjected to mechanical stress, such as vibration or pressure. In the context of a vibration exciter, a piezo is used as an input to generate vibrations.

How does the input power affect the output of a piezo vibration exciter?

The input power to a piezo vibration exciter is directly proportional to the output vibrations. This means that increasing the input power will result in stronger vibrations, while decreasing the input power will result in weaker vibrations.

What factors can affect the input power required to achieve a certain output from a piezo vibration exciter?

The input power required to achieve a certain output from a piezo vibration exciter can be affected by factors such as the size and material of the piezo, the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity).

What are some applications of a piezo vibration exciter?

Piezo vibration exciters have a wide range of applications, including vibration testing of mechanical systems, ultrasonic cleaning, precision positioning in manufacturing, and energy harvesting from ambient vibrations.