Vibrational frequency of diatomic molecule

In summary: I think I understand the problem. The N2 molecule acts as a harmonic oscillator at a frequency determined by the strength of the bond between the two N atoms and the mass of the N atom. But due to quantum effects, it cannot vibrate at any energy. Its modes of vibration are quantized:E_{vib} = (n + 1/2)h\nuAt low energies (low temperature < 500K) the energy of vibration is h\nu/2 (n=0). The addition of thermal energy is not sufficient to allow many molecules to reach the next energy level (n=1) which is 3h\nu/2 (ie the number of molecules in the Boltzmann distribution for that
bull0sees

Homework Statement

Using specific heat data for a nitrogen molecule, estimate then vibrational frequency of the diatomic molecule

Homework Equations

C= 3N_a k = 3R

The Attempt at a Solution

unable to attempt a solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This question interests me. However I am no help with the solution. I would love if someone could answer this question

thank you for your input shamone. I would also love to find out the answer

I am surprised no one has answered. It looks like a straightforward answer but I just cannot come up with a solution, i wish i was smarter

bull0sees said:

Homework Statement

Using specific heat data for a nitrogen molecule, estimate then vibrational frequency of the diatomic molecule

Homework Equations

C= 3N_a k = 3R

The Attempt at a Solution

unable to attempt a solution
You could start by treating the diatomic molecule as two masses joined by a spring with a certain spring constant. (this may be correct only for small vibrations). You can express the frequency of vibration using the "spring constant", which is a function of the bond strength, and the mass of the N atom. The trick is to find the "spring constant" from the specific heat. I'll have to think about that one.

AM

Last edited:
I think I understand the problem. The N2 molecule acts as a harmonic oscillator at a frequency determined by the strength of the bond between the two N atoms and the mass of the N atom. But due to quantum effects, it cannot vibrate at any energy. Its modes of vibration are quantized:

[tex]E_{vib} = (n + 1/2)h\nu[/tex]

At low energies (low temperature < 500K) the energy of vibration is [itex]h\nu/2[/itex] (n=0). The addition of thermal energy is not sufficient to allow many molecules to reach the next energy level (n=1) which is [itex]3h\nu/2[/itex] (ie the number of molecules in the Boltzmann distribution for that temperature with that amount of energy).

However, as T increases the number of molecules able to acquire additional vibrational energy ie. to jump from [itex]h\nu/2 \text{ to } 3h\nu/2[/itex] increases so the specific heat starts increasing. At about 6000 K the specific heat, Cv reaches 3.5R. This means that the addition of any amount of thermal energy adds vibrational energy to the molecules which, I think, means many of the higher n levels are excited.

That should help you figure out the frequency [itex]\nu[/itex]. From that you could figure out the force holding the atoms together, too.

AM

Related to Vibrational frequency of diatomic molecule

1. What is the definition of vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule?

The vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule refers to the frequency at which the atoms in the molecule vibrate as they interact with each other.

2. How is the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule determined?

The vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule can be determined through spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, which measure the absorption of light by the molecule at different frequencies.

3. What factors influence the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule?

The vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule is influenced by factors such as the masses of the atoms, the bond strength between the atoms, and the bond length between the atoms.

4. Why is the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule important in chemistry?

The vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule is important in chemistry because it provides information about the bond strength and molecular structure of the molecule. This can help identify and characterize different substances.

5. Can the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule be changed?

Yes, the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule can be changed by altering the bond strength or length between the atoms. This can be achieved through chemical reactions or physical processes such as temperature changes.