Vibrations/Waves: French vs. Bekefi/Barrett

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
In summary, there is a relation between the two texts, but Bekefi/Barrett is not a newer extension of French. They are both at the same difficulty level, but have different scopes. French focuses on mechanical vibrations and waves, while B&B covers both mechanical and electromagnetic waves. The main difference is that B&B has chapters on electrodynamics that are not included in French. B&B is highly recommended, with chapters 3-8 being especially praised. There is no copying of French in B&B. However, B&B does have some drawbacks such as old-fashioned typewriter type-setting and no solutions. It is unknown if French is better at explaining mechanical waves than B&B, but both books are used in MIT's
mishima
Is there a relation between these two texts? Is the Bekefi/Barrett a newer extension of french or is it its own thing completely? Does Bekefi/Barrett contain exact extracts from French? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am only casually acquainted with French, but took a course out of B&B. The two books are at approximately the same difficulty level. The primary difference is scope: French confines the discussion to mechanical vibrations and waves; B&B covers much of the material of French in chapters 1,2,7 and 8, but the rest of B&B is purely on electromagnetic waves. Check out the table of contents of these two books on Amazon and you will see chapters 3,4,5, and 6 of B&B covers aspects of electrodynamics - material not in French at all. B&B is a really good book, and chapters 3-8 are where it really shines. I am pretty sure there is no copying of French here. The main downsides of B&B are that you will have to get past the old fashioned typewriter type-setting, and that it has no solutions.

Since I have not seriously read French's book I cannot comment on whether it is better at explaining mechanical waves than B&B. Since MITs physics III (see ocw.mit.edu) uses both books, I suspect there is something about French that is either not in B&B or that is simply explained better.

good luck.

jason

FAQ: Vibrations/Waves: French vs. Bekefi/Barrett

1. What is the difference between French and Bekefi/Barrett's theories on vibrations/waves?

French's theory focuses on the classical mechanics approach to vibrations and waves, while Bekefi/Barrett's theory incorporates the concepts of quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Which theory is more widely accepted in the scientific community?

Both theories have their own strengths and limitations, and are used in different contexts. French's theory is more commonly used in classical mechanics applications, while Bekefi/Barrett's theory is used in more advanced fields such as quantum electrodynamics.

3. How do French and Bekefi/Barrett's theories explain the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

French's theory explains electromagnetic waves as oscillations of coupled electric and magnetic fields, while Bekefi/Barrett's theory describes them as quantized particles called photons.

4. Can these two theories be reconciled?

There have been attempts to reconcile the two theories, such as the semi-classical approach which combines elements of both French and Bekefi/Barrett's theories. However, a complete reconciliation has not yet been achieved.

5. How have these theories contributed to our understanding of vibrations and waves?

Both French and Bekefi/Barrett's theories have provided valuable insights and explanations for the behavior of vibrations and waves. French's theory has been instrumental in classical mechanics applications, while Bekefi/Barrett's theory has expanded our understanding into the quantum realm.