[Video] Carbon nanotubes & single photons

In summary, carbon nanotubes are cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms that have unique properties such as high strength and thermal and electrical conductivity. They are used in single photon technology as a platform for capturing and manipulating individual photons. Carbon nanotubes are able to emit single photons through the process of photoluminescence, which can be tuned to a specific frequency based on the nanotube's diameter and chirality. Potential applications of single photon technology using carbon nanotubes include quantum computing, secure communication, and high-resolution imaging. Scientists create carbon nanotubes for use in this technology through methods like chemical vapor deposition and nanomanipulation. However, challenges still exist in achieving high efficiency and stability in emission, controlling the properties of individual nan
AdrienJ
Hi,
I'm currently doing a PhD about how to use carbon nanotubes as an efficient single photon source. On my spare time I've done a short video to explain it to my familly and friends. I thought you might be interested, so here it is :

Likes Mentz114, dlgoff and jerromyjon
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent presentation!

Likes AdrienJ

Related to [Video] Carbon nanotubes & single photons

1. What are carbon nanotubes and how are they used in single photon technology?

Carbon nanotubes are cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms, with a diameter on the nanometer scale. They have unique properties such as high strength, thermal and electrical conductivity, and can act as efficient light absorbers. In single photon technology, carbon nanotubes are used as a platform for capturing and manipulating individual photons, the smallest units of light.

2. How are carbon nanotubes able to emit single photons?

When an electron is excited in a carbon nanotube, it can release energy in the form of a single photon. This process is called photoluminescence. The diameter and chirality (arrangement of carbon atoms) of the nanotube can influence the wavelength of the emitted photon, making it possible to tune the emission to a specific frequency.

3. What are the potential applications of single photon technology using carbon nanotubes?

Single photon technology has many potential applications, including quantum computing, secure communication, and high-resolution imaging. Carbon nanotube-based single photon emitters have the advantage of being highly stable and efficient, making them promising candidates for these applications.

4. How do scientists create carbon nanotubes for use in single photon technology?

Carbon nanotubes can be grown using a variety of methods, including chemical vapor deposition and laser ablation. In single photon technology, the nanotubes are typically grown on a substrate, such as a silicon wafer, and then transferred to a desired location using techniques like nanomanipulation.

5. What are the challenges facing the development of carbon nanotube-based single photon technology?

One of the main challenges is achieving high efficiency and stability in the emission of single photons. Additionally, controlling the properties of individual carbon nanotubes, such as their length and chirality, is still a difficult task. Another challenge is integrating carbon nanotubes with other components, such as optical fibers or electronics, for practical applications.