Video lectures of Structure and Intepretation of Computer Programs

In summary, the conversation is about finding video lectures for the MIT course Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. While MIT OCW does not have any videos, there are two sets of videos available on the internet - one from 1986 given by the original instructors to HP employees, and another from Spring 08/07 taught at Berkley by a different instructor. The suggestion is to try the videos from Berkley, and potentially check iTunes for other related lectures. The conversation ends with a question asking if anyone has tried either of the videos or lectures.
loom91
Hi,

I'm looking for video lectures for the classic MIT course Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. While MIT OCW doesn't have any videos for this course, on the internet there seems to be at least two different sets of videos claiming to be of this course. It seems that one is from 1986, given by the original instructors to HP employees, while another is a Spring 08/07 course taught at Berkley by some other instructor. Could you tell me which one is likely to be more helpful, or if there is any other set available? Thank you.

Molu

Technology news on Phys.org
Anyone has an idea?

I'm thinking berkley. did you happen to try iTunes for any of the videos? they have some cool physics lectures i downloaded a while ago free. so they may have something that your looking for.

Anyone who has actually tried the videos, or the lectures they are based on?

FAQ: Video lectures of Structure and Intepretation of Computer Programs

1. What is "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"?

"Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" (SICP) is a computer science textbook written by Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman. It is considered one of the most influential textbooks in the field of computer science and is often used as a course textbook in introductory computer science courses.

2. What is the benefit of watching video lectures of SICP?

Video lectures of SICP provide a visual and auditory learning experience, allowing students to better understand complex concepts and programming techniques. They also allow students to pause, rewind, and rewatch sections for better understanding and retention of information.

3. Are the video lectures of SICP suitable for beginners?

Yes, the video lectures of SICP are suitable for beginners. The textbook and lectures are designed to introduce fundamental concepts in computer science and programming, making it accessible to students with little to no prior experience in the field.

4. Can I use the video lectures of SICP as a substitute for a traditional course?

The video lectures of SICP can be a helpful supplement to a traditional course, but they may not be a suitable substitute. The lectures do not include interactive components such as assignments, quizzes, and exams, which are important for assessing and reinforcing understanding of the material.

5. Are the video lectures of SICP still relevant today?

Yes, the video lectures of SICP are still relevant today. While the examples and programming languages used in the lectures may be outdated, the fundamental concepts and problem-solving techniques taught are timeless and applicable to modern programming languages and technologies.

Back