Views on morality and individuals versus group

• Thread starter t014y
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of morality and how it is understood by different cultures and individuals. The main points include the difference between the behavior of morality and the personal obligation or compulsion of morality, the role of evolutionary altruism in guiding moral behavior, and the idea that different cultures place varying weights on concerns such as harm, fairness, authority, community, and purity when determining what is right and wrong. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the behavior of morality in order to fully understand the personal obligation of morality.
Moridin said:
Fact: Something we know
Value: Something we want to keep
Morality: What we use to figure out how to keep our values by using facts!

Yeah, like I said, you've “proven” that if someone values peanut butter it's a moral act for them to go buy some.

Moridin said:
No, moral relativism is a religion. Instead of god, you have culture and whatever culture says is morally correct. You worship culture.

I am not a moral relativist. I have said nothing about my moral beliefs in this thread nor in the other one you linked to. You are simply yet again trying to claim that other people cannot have a discussion without assuming that your beliefs are true.

But as I said in the other thread, watching you shadow-box with yourself and frequently punch yourself in the face is quite amusing. Carry on.

Physics news on Phys.org
The objective value of nutrition comes from the fact that there is an objective need for nutrition to survive.

You continue to be unable to refute my argument and make a lot of red herrings in your attempt to salvage the religion of moral relativism. By claiming that the is-ought dichotomy is valid, you are simply contradicting yourself. I almost feel sorry for your inability to see past your own dogma.

I am not a moral relativist. I have said nothing about my moral beliefs in this thread nor in the other one you linked to. You are simply yet again trying to claim that other people cannot have a discussion without assuming that your beliefs are true.

Since you do not agree with me, you must be advancing some form of moral-antirealism, which meets the same fate as moral realism.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
The objective value of nutrition comes from the fact that there is an objective need for nutrition to survive.

Yeah - exactly what I said. Peanut butter is nutrition, therefore by your definition buying peanut butter is a moral act.

Moridin said:
You continue to be unable to refute my argument and make a lot of red herrings in your attempt to salvage the religion of moral relativism.

I'm not trying to refute your argument. And I'm not making red herrings - I'm laying out a point and then pursuing it myself, not trying to trick you into pursuing it.

What I'm doing - since you obviously need me to explain this - is demonstrating that your arguments about what morality is lead to absolutely absurd conclusions rather than any clear or usable definition of morality.

Moridin said:
Since you do not agree with me, you must be advancing some form of moral-antirealism, which meats the same fate as moral realism.

“Meats”? Tsk, tsk, you food religionists, you just can't stop talking about food can you?

Yeah - exactly what I said. Peanut butter is nutrition, therefore by your definition buying peanut butter is a moral act.

Sure, why not. It is valid since I advocate moral realism.

In any case, as I have argued before, the proponents of the is-ought dichotomy are simply contradicting themselves. It seems strange to advocate that since it is impossible to derive an "ought" from an "is", you ought not to argue that you can derive an ought from an is.

Now here is what you have all been waiting for: By arguing against me, you are proving my point, since you are performing the stolen concept fallacy.

Moridin said:
Sure, why not. It is valid since I advocate moral realism.

In any case, as I have argued before, the proponents of the is-ought dichotomy are simply contradicting themselves. It seems strange to advocate that since it is impossible to derive an "ought" from an "is", you ought not to argue that you can derive an ought from an is.

Now here is what you have all been waiting for: By arguing against me, you are proving my point, since you are performing the stolen concept fallacy.

You're so locked into the scarecrows you have propped up to try to attack people who you believe to be your ideological opponents that you're having difficulty understanding what's being said here.

No one has said “it is impossible to derive an "ought" from an "is".” Collections of facts and moral obligations are two completely different things.

It's because you're confusing those two things that a corollary of your statements is that for someone who wants to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, buying a jar of peanut butter is a moral act.

You demonstrate your complete disinterest in anything resembling philosophy by saying that the above assertion on the morality of buying peanut butter is a completely reasonable statement. You don't want to inquire into what morality is, you just want to advance your agenda. You're simply rummaging around in a bag of tricks and rhetoric and throwing things at the other people trying to have a discussion. Like a monkey flinging his poo at zoo visitors.

I can't even keep up with this. Locked until I can wade through it.