Violation of Newtons Third law

In summary: In special relativity, the local exchange of momentum is between fields and particles. A particle feels a force due to a field. But there isn't a simple way to say that a field feels a force due to a particle. So to keep the spirit of Newton's third law for fields and particles, we ascribe momentum to both, and say that momentum is conserved.
Science news on Phys.org
TheBlackNinja said:
I've heard many times that Newtons third law is violated in electromagnetism, but I never knew why.
I found this link http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...dkMvK2nhw&sig2=jwk3H90wOMVq8cPtcPk7UQ&cad=rja
saying that actually it is not violated.

Is it correct? Is it violated somewhere else?
It is violated, either that or F=ma is violated.

From the link:
link provided by OP said:
If we sum the magnetic forces of two charged particles on each other, we find this apparent violation of Newton’s third law (after some manipula- tion): [equation elided]

The reason for the apparent violation is that the momentum of the electric and magnetic fields has been omitted. When that momentum is included (an advanced topic), Newton’s third law is again obeyed.
I beg to differ. What is true is that when that momentum is included (an advanced topic), the conservation laws are again obeyed.

One way to look at Newton's third law is that it is a special case of the more generic laws of conservation of momentum and angular momentum. The circumstances under which Newton's third law derives from the conservation laws are when forces are central in nature and depend on position only, and when the field that mediates the force does not itself store momentum or angular momentum. Various electromagnetic forces fail on all three accounts, so why would you expect Newton's third law to hold in such a case?

Last edited:
If this is true then why don't we have reactionless drives?

TurtleMeister said:
If this is true then why don't we have reactionless drives?
Because momentum and angular momentum are conserved quantities.

Probably too advanced for me, so I'll just take your word for it. I've always thought of the third law and the conservation of momentum to be simply two different ways of viewing the same thing. Violate one then you violate the other.

TurtleMeister said:
Probably too advanced for me, so I'll just take your word for it. I've always thought of the third law and the conservation of momentum to be simply two different ways of viewing the same thing. Violate one then you violate the other.

Newton's third law is true for Newton's gravity - the sun attracts the Earth and the Earth attracts the sun at the same time - even though both are far from each other. How can each know how hard the other is pulling immediately? In Newtonian physics, there is no upper limit to the speed of things, so there's no problem there. But this is obviously doesn't fit in with special relativity - so Newton's third law doesn't hold in special relativity.

In special relativity, the local exchange of momentum is between fields and particles. A particle feels a force due to a field. But there isn't a simple way to say that a field feels a force due to a particle. So to keep the spirit of Newton's third law for fields and particles, we ascribe momentum to both, and say that momentum is conserved.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the simple explanation.

Related to Violation of Newtons Third law

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in everyday life, such as when walking. When you push against the ground with your foot, the ground pushes back with an equal force, allowing you to move forward. It is also seen in sports, when a ball is thrown or hit, it exerts a force on the person throwing/hitting it, and the person feels an equal and opposite force in their hand.

3. Can Newton's Third Law be violated?

No, Newton's Third Law is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. Every action will always have an equal and opposite reaction.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law?

No, there are no known exceptions to Newton's Third Law. It applies to all forces, whether they are contact forces (such as pushing or pulling) or non-contact forces (such as gravity).

5. How does Newton's Third Law apply to rocket propulsion?

Newton's Third Law explains how rockets are able to move in space. The rockets push exhaust gases out of the back of the rocket at a high velocity, and according to Newton's Third Law, the exhaust gases will exert an equal and opposite force on the rocket, propelling it forward.