Violation of spin conservation in pion annihilation

Trollfaz
##\pi^\pm## are mutual particle-antiparticle pairs, while ##\pi^0## is it's own antiparticle. All has a spin of 0.
In any annihilation reaction of a particle ##x##, the equation is
$$x+\bar{x}\to \gamma+\gamma$$
Photons have no charge but a spin 1. I can see charges are conserved but spin is not since the total spin before the reaction is 0 while after the reaction is 2. Is there a solution to this or am I just wrong?
Sorry the LaTeX here behaves differently from the one on my computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Trollfaz said:
Is there a solution to this or am I just wrong?
What's conserved in these reactions is the total angular momentum. For spin-0 pions in the center-of-mass frame, the reaction ##\pi+\bar{\pi}\rightarrow\gamma+\gamma## results in two spin-1 photons travelling in opposite directions with their spins antiparallel, so the total angular-momentum is zero both before and after the reaction.

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke, Vanadium 50 and PeroK
So p is your symbol for pion? The general symbol for pion is ##\pi## p represents proton

Trollfaz said:
So p is your symbol for pion? The general symbol for pion is ##\pi## p represents proton
Yes, and I've edited post #2 to reflect that notation. But same conservation reasoning also applies to protons and antiprotons: two spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particles annihilate to two spin-1 photons with antiparallel spins.

Likes ohwilleke
Trollfaz said:
In any annihilation reaction of a particle , the equation is
False.
Trollfaz said:
total spin before the reaction is 0 while after the reaction is 2.
False.