Violin Harmonics HW: Finding Lowest Frequency Oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the lowest frequency of oscillation for a 32 cm violin string with linear mass density of .36 gm/m when placed near a loudspeaker fed by an audio oscillator of variable frequency. It is found that the string is set into oscillations at frequencies of 1320 Hz and 1760 Hz, indicating that 1320 Hz is the fundamental frequency for the violin. The conversation also touches on the concept of red herrings and how they can be misleading in problem-solving.
mathilin

Homework Statement

a 32 cm violin string with linear mass density is .36 gm/m is placed near a loudspeaker that is fed by an audio oscillator of variable frequency. It is found that hte string is set into oscillations at frequencies 1320 Hz and 1760 Hz as the frequency of the audio oscillator is varied continuously over the range of 1000-1800 Hz. Which harmonic is the 1320 Hz for the violin?

Homework Equations

L = (wavelength)/2
v = (frequency)*(wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to find the "lowest frequency of oscillation". so f=v/(2*L). L is known, but v is not. I am trying to find the velocity of the string, but this is where I encounter a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathilin said:

Homework Statement

a 32 cm violin string with linear mass density is .36 gm/m is placed near a loudspeaker that is fed by an audio oscillator of variable frequency. It is found that hte string is set into oscillations at frequencies 1320 Hz and 1760 Hz as the frequency of the audio oscillator is varied continuously over the range of 1000-1800 Hz. Which harmonic is the 1320 Hz for the violin?

Homework Equations

L = (wavelength)/2
v = (frequency)*(wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to find the "lowest frequency of oscillation". so f=v/(2*L). L is known, but v is not. I am trying to find the velocity of the string, but this is where I encounter a problem.

Maybe i oculd just do 1760-1320=440 (is this the fundamental frequency?)

mathilin said:

Yes, that seems to work.

mathilin said:

Yes.1320 and 1760 must both be divisible by the fundamentat frequency and if 1320 is harmonic number n then 1760 must be harmonic number n+1.Now you can work it out.Also, many questions have red herrings(information you don't need)

Got it, thanks for the help.

Related to Violin Harmonics HW: Finding Lowest Frequency Oscillation

1. What are violin harmonics?

Violin harmonics are produced when a string is plucked or bowed in a specific way that creates a pure and clear sound. The frequency of the harmonic is a multiple of the fundamental frequency of the string, producing a higher pitch.

2. Why is it important to find the lowest frequency oscillation?

Finding the lowest frequency oscillation can help determine the fundamental frequency of a string, which is essential for tuning an instrument. It can also help identify any issues with the instrument that may affect the quality of the sound.

3. How do you find the lowest frequency oscillation on a violin?

To find the lowest frequency oscillation on a violin, you can use a tuning fork or a digital tuning device. Place the tuning fork or device near the bridge of the violin and pluck the string. Adjust the tension of the string until the sound matches the frequency of the tuning fork or device.

4. What factors can affect the lowest frequency oscillation on a violin?

The material and thickness of the string, the length of the string, and the tension of the string can all affect the lowest frequency oscillation on a violin. Additionally, the quality of the instrument and the skill of the musician can also have an impact on the sound produced.

5. Can other instruments besides the violin produce harmonics?

Yes, other string instruments such as the cello, viola, and guitar can also produce harmonics. However, the technique for producing harmonics may differ slightly from instrument to instrument.