Visualising a system with graphene

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing while visualizing and manipulating a system of a molecule suspended above a graphene crystal surface using DFT-D. They are unable to correctly visualize the set-up using VMD and VESTA due to the non-cubic structure of graphene. This is causing delays in their project and they are seeking advice from others who may have experienced similar issues. The other speaker suggests using Avogadro or Gabedit for finite graphene molecules, but is unable to help with the 'infinite' graphene sheet using periodic DFT codes.
Aaron young
I am currently modelling van der Waals interactions using DFT-D as my undergrad thesis. The basic set-up is a molecule suspended above a crystal surface. To start the surface is graphene, which has been causing me some trouble as neither VMD nor VESTA are allowing me to visualise the set-up correctly from the POSCAR. I need to visualise the system so that I can move the molecule above the surface into a variety of positions as well as duplicate it in preparation for modelling in VASP. However when performing these operations in VMD I run into the known problem that the graphene is rotated and deformed whenever I try to save and then re-open the POSCAR on account of its non-cubic structure. VESTA on the other hand is completely unable to read the POSCAR file, though VMD can at least do that without complaint. At the moment I am forced to manipulate the File manually, but this is eating up valuable project time. Has anybody else experienced similar issues when manipulating graphene in VMD or VESTA, and if so, what did you do to get around these issues?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also an undergrad who's done some DFT work with graphene molecules (well, benzene, naphthalene, etc. up to Circumbiphenyl). I don't have the experience modeling graphene in VMD or VESTA, but I did somewhat similar operations using Avogadro and/or Gabedit. Rotating the structure and copying it wasn't a big deal (except for when it tried to automatically make bonds where there shouldn't have been any), and it worked well enough. Maybe you can look into those. But those are for finite graphene molecules, if you want to consider an 'infinite' graphene sheet (using periodic DFT codes), then I can't help you there.

Related to Visualising a system with graphene

1. What is graphene and why is it important in visualising systems?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important in visualising systems because of its unique properties, such as high strength, flexibility, and conductivity, which make it ideal for use in various technologies and industries.

2. How is graphene used in visualising systems?

Graphene can be used in visualising systems by being incorporated into devices and materials. For example, it can be used as a transparent conductive film in touch screens, as a sensor in biomedical devices, and as a component in composites for structural monitoring.

3. What are some advantages of using graphene in visualising systems?

Some advantages of using graphene in visualising systems include its high sensitivity and resolution, its low cost, and its compatibility with various substrates and materials. It also has a wide range of applications in different fields, making it a versatile tool for visualising systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using graphene in visualising systems?

While graphene has many benefits, there are also some limitations to its use in visualising systems. For example, it can be challenging to produce large quantities of high-quality graphene at a low cost, and its properties can be affected by environmental factors such as humidity and temperature.

5. What are some current research advancements in visualising systems with graphene?

Currently, there is ongoing research on using graphene in different visualising systems, such as in flexible and wearable electronics, in 3D printing, and in biotechnology. Scientists are also exploring ways to improve the production and quality of graphene for more widespread use in various industries.