Visualizing 3d graph of two variables

In summary, the natural domain of f(x,y,z)=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} is a disk of radius 1 centered at the origin in the xy-plane. The graph of the function is an infinite solid cylinder and the equation x^2+y^2+z^2=1 represents a sphere centered at the origin. The function f(x,y,z) has a domain of real values for x, y, and z, and can be visualized as a density plot with the values getting darker as they approach the z-axis. The two additional functions provided, f(x,y)=yln(1+x) and f(x,y)=sin-1(xy), can be visualized as a graph in the xy
Beamsbox
I have a question in my book that states:
"T or F The natural domain of f(x,y,z) = sqrt(1-x^2-y^2) is a disk of radius 1 centered at the origin in the xy-plane."

This is F as the graph is an infinite solid cylinder. But I can't visualize it. If I let f(x,y,z) be z, and square both sides, I get:

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 which is the graph of a sphere centered at the origin, right?

Not sure where the 'solid cylinder' comes in...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is true, since the shape is a sphere radius one centered at the origin (the infinite cylinder equation would be [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=1[/itex]).

Think of projecting the sphere onto the xy-plane. What would it's shadow look like?

Beamsbox said:
I have a question in my book that states:
"T or F The natural domain of f(x,y,z) = sqrt(1-x^2-y^2) is a disk of radius 1 centered at the origin in the xy-plane."

This is F as the graph is an infinite solid cylinder. But I can't visualize it. If I let f(x,y,z) be z, and square both sides, I get:

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 which is the graph of a sphere centered at the origin, right?

Not sure where the 'solid cylinder' comes in...

You have [itex]f(x,y,z)=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/itex]

That's a function of three variables right? But the value of the function is only in terms of x and y. That means for any z, the value is the same for the same x and y. So the domain for real values of the function in terms of x, y, and z is not just the unit circle in the x-y plane but the unit circle for every z. Think of the function f(x,y,z) as a density function in 3D space. For example,

f(1,0,0)=0
f(0,0,0)=1

Now suppose you colored the values of the function for every value of x, y, and z in it's domain, the smaller the value of f, the lighter the color. Say the colors go from white for small values to black when f(x,y,z)=1. Now consider that "natural" domain in the x, y, z plane, a cylinder right with all those values of f(x,y,z) colored according to their values. Wouldn't that figure look like a density plot with white on the perimeter where f(x,y,z)=0 and as you get closer to the z-axis, the colors get darker and darker until at the z-axis, they are black.

Ok, now plot that in Mathematica.

Ah perfect. I understand the circle at every value of z. I don't understand the 'density function' part though. PErhaps that one will come with time.

Thank you, jackmell.

Assignment problem. I have a new issue regarding visualizing graphs of multiple variables.

How do you visualize the two of these:

f(x,y)=yln(1+x)
f(x,y)=sin-1(xy)

These completely baffle me. I can see z=ln(1+x), but when you multiply it by y, how does that change it? Does it extend infinitely in the +/- y direction? As for the second one... I can graph z=sin-1(x), but I'm not sure how the newly introduced y changes things...

The answer is in the back of the book for both questions. Both are sketched in the xy-plane only. The first has an open boundary at y=-1, and is colored for all values in the positive direction from this line. The second graph is much like a star, with parabolas in each quadrant, dipping toward the origin (opening outwards), and the spikes of the star along each of the two axes (four directions of x-, x+, y-, y+)...

I'd really like to get better at visualizing these myself. But not sure where to start.

Related to Visualizing 3d graph of two variables

1. How do you create a 3D graph of two variables?

To create a 3D graph of two variables, you will need to use a software program or coding language that supports 3D graphing, such as MATLAB or Python. You will also need to import your data and specify which variables will be represented on the x, y, and z axes.

2. What is the purpose of visualizing a 3D graph of two variables?

The purpose of visualizing a 3D graph of two variables is to gain a better understanding of the relationship between those variables. It allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the data and can reveal patterns or trends that may not be apparent in a 2D graph.

3. Can you adjust the viewing angle of a 3D graph?

Yes, most software programs and coding languages that support 3D graphing allow you to adjust the viewing angle of the graph. This can help you get a better perspective and see the data from different angles.

4. How do you interpret a 3D graph of two variables?

Interpreting a 3D graph of two variables is similar to interpreting a 2D graph. You can look at the values on each axis to understand the range of each variable and how they relate to each other. You can also use color and shading to represent a third variable, if applicable.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D graphs for visualizing data?

Yes, there are limitations to using 3D graphs for visualizing data. One limitation is that it can be difficult to accurately interpret the relationships between variables when there are multiple three-dimensional structures in the graph. Additionally, 3D graphs may not be suitable for all types of data and may not be accessible for individuals with visual impairments.