Visualizing a Cone with Constant Altitude and Variable Radius

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving sand leaking out of a container and forming a conical pile. The height of the pile is always equal to its radius and is increasing at a rate of 6in/min. The question is asking for the rate at which the sand is leaking out when the altitude is ten inches. There is some confusion about the shape of the pile, with one person thinking it is a hemisphere and another correctly identifying it as a cone. The conversation ends with a suggestion to draw cones with different ratios of radius to altitude to better visualize the problem.
regnar
Hi, I've tried this too many ways and i can't seem to figure it out. the question is:
As sand leaks out of a hole in a container, it forms a conical pile whose altitude is always the same as its radius. If the height of the pile is increasing at a rate of 6in/min, find the rate at which the sand is leaking out when the altitude is ten inches.

It would be great help, if someone could help me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
if its height is the same as its radius its not conical is it? isn't it a hemisphere? once you do that, you will find that the radius is increasing by 6 inches a minute. but i feel like there is something missing in your question.

It can't be hemispherical; it's saying that the height from the tip to the base is the same length as the radius. what i did was implicitly differentiated the volume formula for a cone and got dV/dt = 1/3*pi(2rh*dr/dt + r2*dh/dt)

Conical with base radius equal to the height...
[tex]r=h[/tex]

[tex]V={{1} \over {3}} h A= {1 \over 3} h \pi h^2={\pi h^3 \over 3}[/tex]

So now the question is, what is dV/dt given dh/dt?

Thank you. I got the same answer as i did before but in a different way so I know it's right.

if the height is the same as the radius...that sounds pretty spherical to me.

You seem to be having difficulty with visualization.
A sphere's height is twice its radius...but this isn't a sphere, or a hemisphere, it's a cone.

What does a cone look like?
Try drawing cones with various radius to altitude ratios. Post an image here if any of them looks like a sphere or hemisphere.

Last edited:

FAQ: Visualizing a Cone with Constant Altitude and Variable Radius

1. What are related rates problems?

Related rates problems involve finding the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to the rate at which another quantity changes.

2. How do I solve related rates problems?

First, identify the quantities involved and their rates of change. Then, use calculus to find the equation that relates these quantities. Finally, take the derivative with respect to time and solve for the unknown rate.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the height of a triangle changes as the base expands, or the rate at which the volume of a balloon changes as it is inflated.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

It is important to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities. Additionally, it can be helpful to assign variables and write out the given information in terms of these variables. Finally, be sure to carefully take the derivative and pay attention to the chain rule.

5. Why are related rates problems important?

Related rates problems help us understand how variables are related and how they change in relation to each other. They also allow us to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations, making them an important tool in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.