Visualizing an engineering drawing

In summary, the person is trying to make a model of the attached drawing, but is having trouble visualising the middle part. They were wondering if someone could describe it to them.
theone

Homework Statement

I am trying to make a model of the attached drawing but am having trouble visualising the middle part of the drawings. I was wondering if someone could describe it to me

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it involves two of something like this http://www.jbprince.com/images/K555_zoom.jpg with a hole through them?

Attachments

• drawing.png
    drawing.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what it looks like to me, too.

insightful said:
That's what it looks like to me, too.

i also don't understand what this part is:
http://postimg.org/image/ph22yhslp/

That's simply the hole. The "bulges" shown are where the hole goes through the beginning of the curved parts of the indentations.

insightful said:
That's simply the hole. The "bulges" shown are where the hole goes through the beginning of the curved parts of the indentations.

alight, thanks.
also, do you have any idea what it is a picture of?

theone said:
...do you have any idea what it is a picture of?
It's roughly the shape of an "A" arm for an automobile independent suspension, but it could be a mechanical link for many machines.

Likes billy_joule
insightful said:
It's roughly the shape of an "A" arm for an automobile independent suspension, but it could be a mechanical link for many machines.

im still unsure : are the triangular things solid or just a shape cut into the part?

theone said:
im still unsure : are the triangular things solid or just a shape cut into the part?
The triangular shapes are cut into the part, top and bottom.

You must look at the section view (with the cross-hatching) and compare that to the top view which is on the left.

This may, or may not, help (sorry, I'm no sculptor).
PF1 001.jpg

Likes CWatters and theone
theone said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to make a model of the attached drawing but am having trouble visualising the middle part of the drawings.

If the drawing is dimensioned correctly you shouldn't have to visualise it at all, just model it as the dimensions state and the correct form will appear.
Of course, being able to interpret the drawing first will make the modelling easier and is obviously an important skill for an engineer.
Your drawing does not have enough information to recreate it exactly, this is a two minute sketch showing the rough form (I've ignored the taper and some fillets):

Attachments

• A arm.jpg
    A arm.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 357
Likes Nidum, insightful and theone
billy_joule said:
If the drawing is dimensioned correctly you shouldn't have to visualise it at all, just model it as the dimensions state and the correct form will appear.
Of course, being able to interpret the drawing first will make the modelling easier and is obviously an important skill for an engineer.
Your drawing does not have enough information to recreate it exactly, this is a two minute sketch showing the rough form (I've ignored the taper and some fillets):

how did you make that in two minutes; what did you sketch first?

theone said:
how did you make that in two minutes; what did you sketch first?

The whole process:
sketched the top view outline with random dimensions, I then extruded it half the total thickness.
sketched a triangle on the top face and extruded cut ~90% depth of the previous extrusion.
filleted the inner edges of the triangle cut and the tips of the arms (radius of length set equal to the first extrusion)
>this is where I would've added the taper had I done so.
sketched two circles on the side view then extruded cut, this formed semicircular holes with centerlines on the bottom face.
Sketched & extruded cut the large centre hole on the top view
I then mirrored the part abouts its bottom face.

There's many other, probably better ways to do it but it's what came to my mind. I've had no formal CAD training, just practice, learning the hotkeys is important if you want to be fast.

Likes theone
billy_joule said:
The whole process:
sketched the top view outline with random dimensions, I then extruded it half the total thickness.
sketched a triangle on the top face and extruded cut ~90% depth of the previous extrusion.
filleted the inner edges of the triangle cut and the tips of the arms (radius of length set equal to the first extrusion)
>this is where I would've added the taper had I done so.
sketched two circles on the side view then extruded cut, this formed semicircular holes with centerlines on the bottom face.
Sketched & extruded cut the large centre hole on the top view
I then mirrored the part abouts its bottom face.

There's many other, probably better ways to do it but it's what came to my mind. I've had no formal CAD training, just practice, learning the hotkeys is important if you want to be fast.

thanks, that's very helpful

FAQ: Visualizing an engineering drawing

1. What is an engineering drawing?

An engineering drawing is a detailed and precise graphical representation of an object or structure that is used in the field of engineering to communicate design ideas and specifications. It includes dimensions, measurements, and other important information that helps engineers and manufacturers to understand and create the object.

2. Why is it important to visualize an engineering drawing?

Visualizing an engineering drawing is important because it allows engineers and manufacturers to accurately understand and interpret the design and specifications of the object. It also helps to identify any potential problems or issues before the manufacturing process begins.

3. What are the different types of engineering drawings?

There are several types of engineering drawings, including orthographic drawings, isometric drawings, and perspective drawings. Orthographic drawings show the object from different views, such as top, front, and side, while isometric drawings show the object in 3D. Perspective drawings show the object as it would appear to the human eye.

4. What tools are used to create engineering drawings?

Engineering drawings can be created using both traditional and digital tools. Traditional tools include pencils, rulers, and protractors, while digital tools include computer-aided design (CAD) software. CAD software allows for precise and accurate drawings to be created and easily modified.

5. How do engineers use engineering drawings?

Engineers use engineering drawings to communicate their design ideas and specifications to other team members and manufacturers. They also use the drawings to document and record the design process, as well as to ensure accuracy and consistency in the manufacturing process.