Voltage across capacitors in parallel

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of capacitors and their function. The speaker, a first year undergraduate student, expresses their difficulty in understanding the concept of capacitors and asks for clarification on how they work. They also inquire about the equal voltage across capacitors connected in parallel and the importance of recognizing different units for capacitors. The response includes an explanation of how capacitors store and release energy, as well as how parallel capacitors set up an equipotential line resulting in equal voltage. The conversation ends with the mention of electrons building up on the capacitor plate.
sinsaman88
Hello, I am a first year undergrade currently taking elementary physics course in university.
I have hard time understanding the concept of capacitors. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. My understanding of capacitor is that it stores energy by setting up a voltage across and releases when energy is needed. (Could you tell me more specifically how capacitors work?)

2. In capacitors connected in parallel, voltage across is equal. The textbook says that when capacitors are connected in parallel it sets up an equipotential line and therefore the potential is the same across the all capacitors. (Could you also explain this ? Or give better explanation?)

Thank you, and is it also crucial to recognize all the different units (but same) for capacitors?
F = C/V = C^2/Nm etc... yes I can derive from one unit to another, but sometimes it is difficult to see that those units are all equivalent...
Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons build up on the capacitor plate.

FAQ: Voltage across capacitors in parallel

1. What is the formula for calculating the total voltage across capacitors in parallel?

The total voltage across capacitors in parallel is equal to the sum of the individual voltages across each capacitor.

2. How do I calculate the individual voltages across each capacitor in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the individual voltage across each capacitor, use the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. Do capacitors in parallel have an equal voltage across them?

Yes, in a parallel circuit, all capacitors have the same voltage across them.

4. What happens to the total voltage across capacitors in parallel if one capacitor is removed?

If one capacitor is removed from a parallel circuit, the total voltage across the remaining capacitors will remain the same.

5. Is the total voltage across capacitors in parallel always equal to the input voltage?

In an ideal circuit, the total voltage across capacitors in parallel will be equal to the input voltage. However, in real circuits, there may be some loss of voltage due to factors such as resistance.