Voltage amplitudes across inductor and resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a series circuit with a 22.0 mH inductor and a 145.0 ohm resistor connected to an AC generator with a peak voltage of 1.2 kV. The equations V_L = I X_L and V_R = IR are used to solve for the voltage amplitudes across the inductor and resistor, which are found to be 648.4 V and 546.7 V respectively. When squared and added, these values do not equal the square of the RMS voltage, but are close. This is due to VL and VR being RMS voltages, while the source voltage is the peak voltage. A phasor diagram is also suggested to show the addition of the
physicsplease

Homework Statement

A series combination of a 22.0 mH inductor and a 145.0 ohm resistor are connected across the output terminal of an ac generator with peak voltage 1.2 kV. (a) At f= 1250 Hz, what are the voltage amplitudes across the inductor and across the resistor? (b) Do the voltage amplitudes add to give the source voltage? Explain. (c) Draw a phasor diagram to show the addition of the voltages.

Homework Equations

V_L = I X_L
V_R = IR
X_L = wL
Vrms = Vmax / (sqrt 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally I attempted to solve for the voltages using V_L and V_R equations. I found X_L = 172 ohms. R was given. At this point I was stuck as I could not solve for current?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the impedance, Z, related to R & XL ?

well Z= sqrt ( R^2 + X_L^2)
also Z= V/I

Get Z, then get IMAX and/or IRMS.

It's a series circuit, so what do you know about the instantaneous current?

z= sqrt( (145ohm^2)=(172 ohm)^2 = 225 ohm
given Vrms = Vmax / (sqrt 2) = 1200/ (sqrt2) = 849 Vrms
i'm going to assume Irms= Vrms/Z
so 849 Vrms/ 225 ohm = 3.77 A

back to the original equations gives
V_L= IX_L
= (3.11 A)(172 ohm) = 534 V
V_R=IR
= (3.11A)(145 ohm) = 451 V

?

sorry * that was supposed to be a plus not equals in line 1

Now, check. Does VL2 + VR2 = (VRMS)2 ?

You used 3.11A for I, rather than 3.77 A.

oh my math was actually wrong on that
V_L= 648.4 V
V_R = 546.7 V
V_L + V_R = 1200 V as expected but using your equation and squaring each gives 848 V which matches the Vrms. Which are they referring to when they ask if it matches the "source voltage" the Vrms of the peak V?

648.4 + 546.7 = 1195.1 ≠ 1200, although it's close. This is just a coincidence b/c VL ≈ VR.

Definitely, VL + VR ≠ VRMS --- these are all RMS voltages.But see if the sum of the squares equals the square of the RMS .

yes the sum of the squares = 848V
I had calculated Vrms to be 849 V

also thank you so much for your help and explanations, its greatly appreciated!

Related to Voltage amplitudes across inductor and resistor

1. What is the difference between voltage amplitudes in an inductor and a resistor?

The voltage amplitude in an inductor is dependent on the rate of change of current, while the voltage amplitude in a resistor is independent of current. This means that the voltage amplitude in an inductor can fluctuate over time, while the voltage amplitude in a resistor remains constant.

2. Why does the voltage amplitude across an inductor increase with frequency?

An inductor has the property of inductance, which causes it to resist changes in current. As frequency increases, the rate of change of current also increases, resulting in a larger voltage amplitude across the inductor.

3. How does the voltage amplitude across a resistor affect the voltage amplitude across an inductor in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage amplitude across a resistor and an inductor are in phase with each other. This means that they will add together to determine the total voltage amplitude in the circuit.

4. Why does the voltage amplitude across an inductor lag behind the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit?

This is due to the inductive reactance of the inductor, which causes it to resist changes in current. As a result, the voltage amplitude across the inductor will take some time to catch up to the voltage amplitude across the resistor, resulting in a lag.

5. How can I calculate the voltage amplitude across an inductor and a resistor in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage amplitude across each component is the same. Therefore, to calculate the voltage amplitude across an inductor or resistor, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) where V is the total voltage amplitude in the circuit and R is the resistance of the component.