Voltage difference of a circle under changing magnetic field

In summary, if you put a circular conductor in the same configuration as a solenoid inductor, you can measure the voltage between the ends of the solenoid.
genxium
Assume that I am having a 3D Cartesian Coordinate and a linearly time-dependent magnetic field ##\textbf{B}(t) = B_0 \cdot k \cdot t \cdot \textbf{z}## where ##B_0## and ##k## are just constants.

If circular conductor(a thin ring whose thickness is negligible) is put parallel to the ##XY## plane and one measures the voltage difference on 2 different points ##a, b##, how shall I predict which one will have a higher voltage?

What confuses me is that according to Faraday's Law, the electric field around the circular conductor is given by

##\nabla \times \textbf{E} = - \frac{\partial \textbf{B}}{\partial t}##

Thus for any point on the conductor the induced electric field is the same. Then going from any point along the induced electric field till reaching the same point one gets a voltage drop. For any 2 different points ##a, b## on the circular conductor I can always go from ##b## to ##a## or from ##a## to ##b## "along the induced electric field" and get voltage drops for both cases.

Could anyone help to resolve the part that confuses me?

Physics news on Phys.org
genxium said:
how shall I predict which one will have a higher voltage?
How do you plan to measure that voltage? How do you even define the voltage?

With time-dependent magnetic fields, there is no clear, unique way to define an electric potential. You can still consider the vector potential A.

@mfb, this is pretty new for me. Would you please show why the electric potential cannot be well defined (or a reference talking about this)?

By voltage I mean ##\int_{path} \textbf{E} \cdot d \textbf{l}## and when talking about time-dependent fields I think both potentials are still defined as

## \textbf{E} = -\nabla \phi - \frac{\partial \textbf{A}}{\partial t}##

## \textbf{B} = \nabla \times \textbf{A}##

While the uniqueness of the solutions of potentials can be restricted by choosing the Lorentz gauge.

genxium said:
Would you please show why the electric potential cannot be well defined
If you want the electric field to be the (spatial) derivative of a scalar potential, then this field always has zero curl, in clear contradiction to your setup.

Your path integral depends on the path, that is not practical.

Yes you can fix that with the vector potential A, but then it is unclear what "voltage" means.

My definition could be path-dependent. Sorry for that I haven't checked it and I will check it today. However in AC circuit we do talk about "voltage" and it's all about time-dependent variables. I don't see why this term cannot be well defined here (but you can argue that I'm not defining it well).

I don't presume that "voltage" has to be "scalar potential". Any definition is welcome as long as it is consistent with the Maxwell equations.

I do want to buy equipments and make the measurement, however I'm afraid of that the unwanted features of equipments(resistance of conductor and voltage meter, imperfect circular shape etc) would give a misleading result. Thus I expect this problem to be first solved theoratically.

genxium said:
My definition could be path-dependent. [...] I don't presume that "voltage" has to be "scalar potential". Any definition is welcome as long as it is consistent with the Maxwell equations.
You can define whatever you want. You just should invent a new name for it because it is not a standard quantity any more. The Maxwell equations do not have potentials at all (for exactly that reason!).

genxium said:
However in AC circuit we do talk about "voltage" and it's all about time-dependent variables.
Time-dependent voltages are no problem. Time-dependent magnetic fields (in regions where you are interested in a potential) are.

@mfb, this is still confusing. What about I put an N-turns(##N \ge 1##) solenoid inductor whose axis is parallel to the Z-axis in the same configuration and use a galvanometer to measure the its 2 ends? Is this different from the case of a circular conductor? By which rule shall I predict the value I measure?

Why the 2 ends? The length of the solenoid is not important here. The voltage reading can depend on the path of the cables.

Likes genxium
Understood. Thank you so much for your patience :)

Related to Voltage difference of a circle under changing magnetic field

1. What is the voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field?

The voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field is the difference in electric potential between two points on the circle caused by the induction of an electric field due to the changing magnetic field. This voltage difference is also known as induced voltage.

2. How is the voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field calculated?

The voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field is calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circle. This can be expressed as V = -N(dΦ/dt), where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the circle, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What factors affect the voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field?

The voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the circle, and the rate of change of the magnetic field. Additionally, the material and size of the circle can also affect the voltage difference.

4. What is the relationship between the voltage difference and the rate of change of the magnetic field?

The voltage difference of a circle under a changing magnetic field is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This means that as the rate of change of the magnetic field increases, the induced voltage also increases. Similarly, as the rate of change decreases, the voltage difference decreases.

5. How is the voltage difference of a circle affected when the magnetic field is constant?

If the magnetic field is constant, there will be no change in the magnetic flux through the circle, and therefore no induced voltage. This is because Faraday's law of induction states that the induced voltage is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. Without a changing magnetic field, there is no change in magnetic flux, and thus no induced voltage.