Voltage difference of circuit segment

The total potential difference is the sum of the individual potentials.In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage difference between two ends of a segment in a circuit with voltage sources and resistors. Using Ohm's Law, it is determined that the voltage sources always enforce their potential differences regardless of the current flow, and the total potential difference is the sum of the individual potentials.
Rabbittt

Homework Statement

There is a segment of a circuit with voltage sources and resistors. I need to find the difference in voltage between the ends. A picture of the circuit is attached.

If a current I=3 A exists between points a and b, R1=2 [PLAIN]http://lon-capa.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmr10/alpha/100/char0A.png, R2=8 [PLAIN]http://lon-capa.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmr10/alpha/100/char0A.png, V1=4 V, and V2=15 V,the voltage difference Vb
-Va is?
circuitSegment.gif

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuition told me that the voltage sources would not affect the voltage difference if there was a constant current. So I combined the resistors and applied Ohm's law. V=(3)(8+2). However this is not correct . Can someone help me with understand how the voltage sources in the circuit affect the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage sources always enforce their potential differences across themselves regardless of what current is flowing.

You have four components in series: two resistors and two voltage sources. The resistors present potential changes according to the current flowing through them via Ohm's Law, while the voltage sources present their defined potentials in the directions indicated.

Related to Voltage difference of circuit segment

1. What is voltage difference?

Voltage difference, also known as potential difference, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is voltage difference calculated?

Voltage difference is calculated by subtracting the electric potential at one point in the circuit from the electric potential at another point. This can be represented by the equation V = V2 - V1, where V2 is the potential at the second point and V1 is the potential at the first point.

3. What factors affect voltage difference?

There are several factors that can affect voltage difference in a circuit, including the amount of resistance in the circuit, the number of electrons flowing through the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Changes in these factors can cause the voltage difference to increase or decrease.

4. How does voltage difference affect circuit performance?

Voltage difference plays a crucial role in determining the flow of current in a circuit. A higher voltage difference will result in a stronger current, while a lower voltage difference will result in a weaker current. This can impact the overall performance and functionality of the circuit.

5. What is the significance of voltage difference in electrical safety?

Voltage difference is an important factor to consider in electrical safety, as it determines the amount of electric shock a person may experience if they come into contact with a live circuit. Higher voltage differences can be more dangerous and potentially cause more serious injuries. Therefore, it is important to always handle electrical circuits with caution and respect the potential difference they contain.