Voltage divider circuit and effect on current

This will ensure that enough current is supplied to the motor. However, you should also take into account the internal resistance of the battery and factor that into your calculations as well. As for which resistors to use, it depends on the values you calculated for R1 and R2. In summary, to ensure enough current is supplied to power the 3V motor using a 9V battery, you should consider the resistance of the motor and the internal resistance of the battery in your calculations for the voltage divider circuit.
77jenko
Hey,
Im new and this is just a simple question.
I want to make a voltage divider circuit to power a 3V dc motor using a 9V battery supply. However the motor draws 0.20amps when there is no load. In conjunction with the voltage divider equation V(out) = (R2 * V(in) )/ (R1+R2) , how to ensure that enough current is supplied to the motor? Also I've read that I will need to take into account the resistance of the motor as well! How do I do this and which resistors should I use?

Thanks a lot for your help,
77jenko

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "the motor draws .2amps when there is no load."

If I'm assuming correctly, I believe you want to model the motor as a load requiring 3V and .2 amps. In this case, you would use ohm's law to model the motor as a resistor (V = IR). Once you have this resistance, you could use it as the R2 in your voltage divider equation, and then solve for your R1.

Related to Voltage divider circuit and effect on current

1. What is a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to divide a voltage into smaller values. It is typically made up of two or more resistors connected in series and is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a specific voltage output.

2. How does a voltage divider circuit work?

A voltage divider circuit works by using the principle of Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. The resistors in the circuit divide the input voltage into smaller values, creating a voltage drop across each resistor. The total voltage drop across all the resistors is equal to the input voltage.

3. What is the effect of adding more resistors in a voltage divider circuit?

The effect of adding more resistors in a voltage divider circuit is that it increases the total resistance of the circuit, which in turn decreases the output voltage. This means that the voltage output will be divided into smaller values and the current flowing through the circuit will also decrease.

4. How does the value of resistors affect the current in a voltage divider circuit?

The value of resistors in a voltage divider circuit directly affects the current in the circuit. Higher value resistors will result in a lower current, while lower value resistors will result in a higher current. This is because the total resistance of the circuit determines the amount of current that can flow through it, according to Ohm's Law.

5. What are some common applications of voltage divider circuits?

Some common applications of voltage divider circuits include voltage regulation in electronic devices, signal conditioning for sensors, and audio volume control. They are also used in power supplies, amplifiers, and analog-to-digital converters. Additionally, voltage divider circuits are used in measurement and testing equipment to provide precise voltage outputs.