Voltage Drop and Equivalent Resistance in a Circuit

• Thread starter Gecata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    voltage
In summary, the voltage across the terminals a and b in the circuit is the same as the voltage drop at the branch with the 2, 12, and 10 Ohm resistors. This is due to the fact that points a and b are connected to the 12 Ohm resistor by an ideal wire, causing the voltage at those points to be equal. This remains true even if points a and b were connected to something more complicated, such as a battery. The voltage drop across the 12 Ohm resistor would still be the same.
Gecata

Homework Statement

Task: Find the voltage across the terminals a and b in the circuit (Done).
My question: Why does the solution work?

Homework Equations

Current division
ix = Isource * Gbranch/Gequivalent

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage across (or is it between ?) the terminals is the same (why ?) as the voltage drop at the branch with the 2, 12 and 10 Ohm resistors, which is 45 Volts. This was found by first finding the current flowing through the branch with the current division principle, i = 3.75 A.

As I stated above, why is the voltage across the terminals the same as the voltage drop at the branch with the 2, 12 and 10 Ohm resisotrs?

The circuit is attached below.

circuit.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Gecata said:

Homework Statement

Task: Find the voltage across the terminals a and b in the circuit (Done).
My question: Why does the solution work?

Homework Equations

Current division
ix = Isource * Gbranch/Gequivalent

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage across (or is it between ?) the terminals is the same (why ?) as the voltage drop at the branch with the 2, 12 and 10 Ohm resistors, which is 45 Volts. This was found by first finding the current flowing through the branch with the current division principle, i = 3.75 A.

As I stated above, why is the voltage across the terminals the same as the voltage drop at the branch with the 2, 12 and 10 Ohm resisotrs?

The circuit is attached below.

View attachment 78771
Hi Gecata, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, voltage (or potential difference) is measured between two points or across a component. Current goes though a wire or component.

Perhaps there's a terminology issue, but I 'm not entirely clear on your problem. Can you show your work?

Actually I see the answer to my question now (not really a question apparently).
The terminals A and B are open, and I needed to determine the resistance between them, in order to model a Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits.

The confusing momenta was not really paying attention to terminals A and B being open.

I saw my mistake after reading your answer, so in a way you answered my question. Thank you.

It's not just because a and b are open circuit...

Points a and b are connected to the 12 ohm resistor by ideal wire so the voltage Vab will always be the same as the voltage across the 12 ohm resistor... EVEN if points a and b were connected together with a wire, another resistor or something more complicated like a battery. For example if you connected a and b to a 10V battery the voltage drop across the 12 Ohm resistor would be 10V.

Yes, I understand that. My confusion was caused by something else entirely, namely not enough experience with circuits. Thanks again for the explanation.

Related to Voltage Drop and Equivalent Resistance in a Circuit

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is commonly referred to as the force or pressure that drives electrical current.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that is connected across the two points or terminals in a circuit. It typically displays the voltage in units of volts (V).

3. What is the unit of voltage?

The unit of voltage is volts (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the battery. Other common units of voltage include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

4. What does the voltage across terminals represent?

The voltage across terminals represents the potential difference between the two points in an electric circuit. It indicates the amount of energy that can be transferred per unit charge between the two points.

5. What factors affect the voltage across terminals?

The voltage across terminals is affected by the source of electricity (such as a battery or power outlet), the resistance of the circuit, and the current flowing through the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the voltage across the terminals.