Voltage drop over dependent current source?

In summary: So in summary, the conversation was about finding mesh currents in a circuit with a dependent current source shared by two meshes. Two solutions were suggested - using Thevenin equivalent or introducing a new variable - to simplify the mesh equations. It was also mentioned that Thevenin and Norton equivalents can be used even when the sources are dependent.
Inertigratus
I have a circuit with 3 meshes for which I have to find the mesh currents, and I have.
However, I just thought that there might be a voltage drop over the dependent current source in the circuit, which would change the mesh current equations.
The CCCS is shared by two meshes.
When I did the calculations I simply ignored the CCCS.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertigratus said:
I have a circuit with 3 meshes for which I have to find the mesh currents, and I have.
However, I just thought that there might be a voltage drop over the dependent current source in the circuit, which would change the mesh current equations.
The CCCS is shared by two meshes.
When I did the calculations I simply ignored the CCCS.
Any ideas?

Can you post the circuit diagram?

Sure, http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7081/namnlskei.jpg
I'm not asking for the solution, just wondering what I should do with the dependent source when writing the mesh equations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two suggestions. First, you could convert the current source and the 4R resistor in parallel with it to a Thevenin equivalent voltage source. That would let you write the KVL mesh equations without worrying about mystery voltages. It would also reduce the circuit to just two loops.

Second, you could introduce a new variable, say vx, which is the voltage drop across the current source, and one new equation (with a new variable you need another equation). This equation would be the additional constraint on the mesh currents implied by the current source, namely i2 - i3 = k*i1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38884&stc=1&d=1316101327.gif

I think that the first suggestion would be simpler. Note that the third mesh current i3 is strictly dependent upon the voltage vx via Ohm's Law with the 4R resistor.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,584
I see, thanks!
So it's possible to use Thévenin and Norton equivalents when the sources are dependent as well?

Inertigratus said:
I see, thanks!
So it's possible to use Thévenin and Norton equivalents when the sources are dependent as well?

Sure, as long as you maintain the dependencies through the calculations.

FAQ: Voltage drop over dependent current source?

1. What is a dependent current source?

A dependent current source is a type of electrical component that generates a current based on the voltage of another component in the circuit. It is represented by a diamond-shaped symbol with a label indicating the relationship between the two voltages.

2. How does a dependent current source affect voltage drop?

A dependent current source can affect voltage drop by either increasing or decreasing it, depending on its relationship with the voltage of the other component. For example, if the dependent current source is proportional to the voltage across a resistor, it will increase the voltage drop across that resistor.

3. What factors influence the voltage drop over a dependent current source?

The voltage drop over a dependent current source is influenced by the other components in the circuit and their relationships with the source. The type and value of the dependent current source, as well as the voltage and resistance of the other components, can all impact the voltage drop.

4. How can I calculate the voltage drop over a dependent current source?

The voltage drop over a dependent current source can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to current multiplied by resistance. In this case, the current is determined by the dependent current source and the resistance is determined by the other components in the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of dependent current sources?

Dependent current sources have many practical applications in electronics and electrical engineering. They are often used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in devices such as amplifiers, filters, and sensors. They can also be found in power supply circuits, where they are used to regulate and control the voltage output.