Voltage in Circuit: What Happens to Voltmeter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a circuit with a battery, switch, and voltmeter. The voltmeter is measuring the potential across the battery's terminals, which is affected by the current drawn from the battery. The battery has an inherent property called electromotive force (emf) that remains constant, while other values in the circuit may vary. The analogy of a water dam and pipes is used to explain the components of the circuit. There is also discussion about the impact of closing the switch and short-circuiting the battery.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-29_0-18-33.png

What happens with the voltmeter if we close s? How am I supposed to think here? I am guessing that the total resistace is oing to decrease and then what? btw is the voltmeter measuring emk or the voltage in the circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
An analogy, the battery like a water dam. All the components are turbines where we can see the rotating blades. The wire just water pipe. A switch is a valve to pass/stop water flowing.
The voltmeter is just a pressure meter where we assume the height of the water in the dam is constant.

well I kinda have to know what the voltmeter is measuring. any ideas?

How does the voltmeter reading change with the amount of current supplied by the battery (what influences the voltage reading)? Consider that the voltmeter is connected directly across the battery: What comprises the battery?

How does the battery current change when the switch is closed?

If we short-circuited a components, it means we bypassed the the water going thru that component render it invisible to the whole system.
If you short-circuit the battery, the water dam will burst.

the current increases and the total resistance decrases so it depends by how much they change. Is te voltmeter measuring emk?

Drizzy said:
the current increases and the total resistance decrases so it depends by how much they change. Is te voltmeter measuring emk?
Can you define "emk"? I suspect that this is a language/translation issue.

From what I can tell from the circuit diagram the voltmeter is measuring the potential across the battery. The batter apparently has some emf (electromotive force or inherent potential difference) in series with some internal resistance Ri.

electromotor something

U = ems - RI

is U constant?

if so then ems is going to increase

ems or emk is emf

Drizzy said:
electromotor something

U = ems - RI

is U constant?

if so then ems is going to increase
ems (or emf or emk) is not going to change. It's an inherent property of the chemistry of the battery. Assuming that R remains constant for that battery, then U will change when the current I changes. U is the potential measured across the battery's terminals.

So the voltmeter is measuring the potential across the battery's terminals (U). When the switch closes, how will this affect the current drawn from the battery?

when the current increases the voltage decrases right?

Drizzy said:
when the current increases the voltage decrases right?
Yes, when the load current increases the potential across the battery will decrease. So what are your conclusions about what happens when the switch closes?

but why is emf constant?

emf = (Ri + R)I

The current increases and the resistance decreases so the emf shouldn't be constant .

The emf is constant, it's a built-in property of the battery. Other measured values (voltages, currents) in the circuit will vary.

Writing 2 = x + y does not make 2 a variable :smile:

FAQ: Voltage in Circuit: What Happens to Voltmeter?

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage in a circuit refers to the electrical potential difference between two points in the circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is often represented by the symbol V or E. Voltage is responsible for the flow of electric current in a circuit.

2. How is voltage measured in a circuit?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What happens to a voltmeter in a circuit?

A voltmeter measures the voltage across a circuit component. When connected in parallel, the voltmeter has a very high resistance, so it does not affect the flow of current in the circuit. The voltmeter will display the voltage reading, which indicates the potential difference between the two points in the circuit.

4. How does voltage affect a circuit?

Voltage is essential for the flow of electric current in a circuit. It creates a potential difference, which causes the electrons to move from a higher potential to a lower potential. Voltage also determines the amount of current that will flow through a circuit, according to Ohm's Law (V = IR).

5. Can voltage be changed in a circuit?

Yes, voltage can be changed in a circuit by adding or removing voltage sources or by changing the resistance in the circuit. In series circuits, the voltage is divided among the components, while in parallel circuits, each component receives the same voltage. In both cases, the total voltage in the circuit remains the same.