Voltage Question: Find Voltage Drop with 3.30A Draw

• Thread starter Jodi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the question asks for the voltage drop across the connecting wires for an apparatus that is 62.3 m away from a 120 V source with wires that have a resistance per unit length of 0.00600 ohms/m and draw 3.30 A. To find the voltage drop, you can either multiply the resistance per unit length by the distance and then by the current, or you can multiply the current by the voltage drop per meter.
Jodi
Voltage question...

Hi; Could somebody please help me with the following question: Suppose you want to run some apparatus that is 62.3 m from an electric outlet. Each of the wires connecting your apparatus to the 120 V source has a resistance per unit length of 0.00600 ohms/m. If your apparatus draws 3.30 A, what will be the voltage drop across the connecting wires? I'm really confused about this question, could someone please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jodi said:
Hi; Could somebody please help me with the following question: Suppose you want to run some apparatus that is 62.3 m from an electric outlet. Each of the wires connecting your apparatus to the 120 V source has a resistance per unit length of 0.00600 ohms/m. If your apparatus draws 3.30 A, what will be the voltage drop across the connecting wires? I'm really confused about this question, could someone please help. Thank you.

You know the current and the resistance of each wire. You can calculate the voltage drop across each wire.

It's just multiplication. You are given the "voltage drop per meter": that is V/d and are asked to find V for given distance. Have you considered the fact that
(V/d)(d meter)= V?

HallsofIvy said:
It's just multiplication. You are given the "voltage drop per meter": that is V/d and are asked to find V for given distance. Have you considered the fact that
(V/d)(d meter)= V?

The problem gives "ohms per meter". That could be converted to a "voltage drop per meter" by multiplying by the current, or you can multiply by the distance to find the total resistance and then multiply by the current to find the voltage drop.

FAQ: Voltage Question: Find Voltage Drop with 3.30A Draw

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity is flowing through a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the materials in the circuit, which can result in a decrease in the amount of voltage available to power devices.

2. Why is it important to find voltage drop?

Finding voltage drop is important because it allows us to determine if there are any issues with the circuit, such as high resistance or faulty components. It can also help us ensure that the correct amount of voltage is reaching the intended devices.

3. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, the formula for voltage drop is V = I x R.

4. What is a typical voltage drop value?

A typical voltage drop value can vary depending on the specific circuit and its components, but generally a voltage drop of 10% or less is considered acceptable. Any voltage drop higher than this could indicate an issue with the circuit.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger gauge wires with lower resistance, minimizing the length of the circuit, and ensuring that all connections are clean and secure. It is also important to use high-quality components that have lower resistance to minimize voltage drop.